Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The side of the rear K177 tire on my ’98 1500 has M134802 stamped into it right after the DOT logo. I thought the later tires only used 4 digits. It looks like there aretoo many numbersso do I read this as the 48[suP]th[/suP] week of 2002? The front tire has a 4 digit code made in 2004. It seems odd because the bike only has 16K on it and supposedly went into service in 2000. I suppose both tires must have been changed at different times and they both have some decent tread left, just cupped.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

48th week of 2002

Attachments

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,235 Posts
imported post

Yup- you will notice that the date code is in its own little box...

·
Premium Member
59,035 Posts
imported post

Just because you buy 2 tires at the same time, from the same place,doesn't mean they will both have the same manufacturing date..........

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,235 Posts
imported post

Very true! Each should be checked.
When I put some new slides together to add to a driving power point presentation in the fall of 2010, I went to the local Goodyear and asked to take a pic of one of their new tires for the class. They gave me a new snow tire they were going to be mounting to use. The tire was dated in mid-2008. So, that brand new tire was already two years old. Who knows how/where it was stored and how that will affect its life.
The only good thing is it was a snow tire and they wear more quickly.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
imported post

I wondered about this myself. I had a new rear tire put on last summer...the build date on the tire was 09. It was 2 years old when i got it. That kinda ruffles my feathers a bit...but i will say, i havnt had any trouble with it. And it will get changed again on the 23rd this month. It is a Dunlop E3. I will pay closer attention when i get the next set installed....

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

10-4 "rpeters" on where the date codes are on the tires. This one looked odd it was so long.

LordBradley, how many miles did you get out of your E3s? Are you mountingthem yourself or having it dealer installed?

·
Premium Member
59,035 Posts
imported post

The tires I've been getting from Jake Wilson have been about 6 months old each order.. I just ordered one from American Tire and it was 7 months old and they really smell like rubber.. The tires ordered were Metlzers.........

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
imported post

As far as I am concerned .... there is entirely too much emphasis on date codes. The date of manufacture is just ONE of the several things I look at when deciding whether to keep or not ...the others being usage, load, temps, and how stored either on or off the bike / vehicle, resting weights,and surface condition (use a magnifyer) of the rubber.
I've seen tires and tire valve stems start showing age in a couple years when mountedon a carparked outside in all weather, I've seen others resist the effects very well for half dozen years and longer. I try to keep all my vehicles parked out of sun and weather now when home.

;)

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,235 Posts
imported post

Yes, it is only one of several things to consider, but has been overlooked as the important thing it is, partly because our government has not made manufacturers give us the information in a clear and consistent manner until about 12 years ago. If I bought a bike with what looked to be great tires, but they were 10 years old? I do not care what they look like, they are gone. There is no 'magic' number of course, but it is one thing that must be respected.
Keeping the sun off them when stored, not right against electrical equipment like a freezer (the compressor motor emits ozone which degrades rubber), weight for the most part off of them and aired up, all great ideas to help maximize the life available.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
imported post

OldRider2 wrote:
10-4 "rpeters" on where the date codes are on the tires.  This one looked odd it was so long.

LordBradley, how many miles did you get out of your E3s?  Are you mounting them yourself or having it dealer installed?

I just saw this post and im sorry for a late reply. I have gotten as high as 18 k out of a rear and almost 20 k out of a front. These are E3's, my average on these is about 15k. They are good tires, and i will keep using them. It is my understanding that these are the only tires with a high enough load capacity for a wing. Unless you go darkside of course. The only complaint i have with them is the frickin noise....but my radio works good, and i can cover it up!!! Again, sorry for the late reply....

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

Ive just been to discount tire with my 20k , 2 1/2 year michelin 10 ply tires, I thought my sprinter might have needed an alignment.
they say my belts slipped, and there dated2005. No warrenty, their gonna blow:X

will be going back to sams club, and trying for 2 1/2 years from when i bought them.
If the warrenty runs from date of manufacture, I will be checking dates on new tires, and prorating the price based on age

speaking of which better check date on my new e3's

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

i dont get to caught up on tire dates, there are millions of various vehicles on the road with old tires. think of diesel trucks,motor homes,travel trailers, boat trailers, and who knows what else. the cost to replace these tires would be cost prohibitive. that being said i would not run ten year old tires on a motorcycle.. regards walkabout

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.