Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I see that Chrome World has the Tire Gard TPMS on sale for $159. Has anyone tried it yet? I'd like to have a system because I think tire failure is a big cause of m/c accidents, but don't want to waste money on a system that doesn't do the job.

·
Administrator
26,578 Posts
imported post

I remember someone had installed it, I think in the general forum but can't remember who. I agree with you on it but can't justify the expense right now. Having a hard time keeping my head above water as it is now.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I think a tire pressure monitor that would warn you of a slow leak on a long run could be a lifesaver.

Thing is those systems are made with a sensor that fits on that mickey mouse angle flexible worthless tire valve stem that all these bikes come with.

I think it might just be ok, with the patch boy metal stems I have finally settled on. They are a metal valve stem(angled) and securely fasten to the rim with lock nuts. I use loc-tite on the second nut to make sure it cannot vibrate loose.

I think a tire monitor system is a good thing, but one has to be aware of the stress the sensor may put on the valve stem of the tire, in looking at it all , better stems are needed to support the sensor weight.

Kit

·
Administrator
26,578 Posts
imported post

Kit, these can be installed on the inside of the rim like the ones on all newer cars or used on the valve stem which I wouldn't want to do but would wait until replacing the tires to put them in.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts

·
Administrator
26,578 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Interesting quote, from their web site.

SmarTire for Motorcycles SmarTire is no longer actively soliciting sales and distribution opportunities for its motorcycle product.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
imported post

I onced developed a slow leak on a 750four front tire while on a trip. As I approached reserve and pulled into town for gas, the road was under construction and had different levels and textures. As I slowed the front end was wobbling and not tracking well. (At highway speed I hadn't noticed any handling problemsasmost of the weight was on the rear, the handling was fine.) At first, I attributed the bad handling to the unevenroad surface, but as I slowed more, it becamereally bad. I pulled into a station and the front tire was almost completely flat. IfI would have neededto brake hard from highway speed or manuever quickly, I probably would have lost it. Ifithad been a heavier bike like the Wing, I might have lost it anyway.

I was also in a large formation of Harleys (700+) once when an Ultra about ten bikes in front of me, two up, blew a rear tire at 65 and went down. It was a new bike, had good tires. Luckily, no one hit him and he and his wife were not injured, but he had to lay it down. Maybe he had been riding a slow leak before it blew.

I'm thinking considering the weight of the Wing, these tire pressure monitors might be a worthly investment.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I almost worship the Smartire I have. That sucker has warned me twice so far. I had a slow leak, after I had a local shop install the sensors. He didn't do something right upon rear tire re-install. Some say, AHHHH, why not just check the tire before departing? What a waste of money ! ETC. The typical naysayers.
So, we diligently get down and check the pressures. They're acceptable. Now, we get out on the road, and everything is going good. Now, in the 17th turn from departure point, we run over a nail. That pressure checking ritual didn't do a lot of good at that point, if the nail is letting the air out. I know of several cases where a fast leak dumped the rider(s) I got the 2 warnings, and promptly pulled over to investigate. Rode slowly to air pump, and over inflated slightly to get home. I pulled the wheel, removed the tire, and found a blob of strip rubber on the bead area. Cleaned it up, reassembled, and it's ok now (was). I've since installed new tires.
Unfortunately, th e Smartire is no longer being made for Motorcycles. I have some extra parts, so I'm ok for awhile. I'm in the process of trying to find out if car sensors are on the same protocall. Tthat would be nice to know for future sensor needs. Smartire is terrible at returning calls and e-mails.

I've seen the TireGuard mentioned on a number of forums, and I've often wondered if I'd like the "portable" feature of the read-out. Does it do temperature/pressure conversion? It's very interesting to know what the tire temp is running at. The rear tire gets a lot hotter than the front. But then, it is behind engine. As for the external sensors. Bad idea! The oem stems have a hard enough time staying in one piece as it is. Go with a short straight metal stem on rear, and a metal 90 on the front of a 1500. On an 1800, we can do a short straight on the front, also.

Better yet, the sender needs to be on the inside. But, that's a bit more trouble. Safer by far, tho.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
imported post

As with any TP monitor system, make sure you don't buy a unit that has been sitting on the shelf for a long time. Why? Because the lithium batteries in the pressure senders have a finite shelf life, and could quit working after a relatively short time of installation. The date of manufacture should be on the box.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
imported post

I just finished UNINSTALLING the replacement for the first which had the rear sensor failed after only about 1000 miles. The second Tiregard failed exactly the same; rear sensor quit sending.
I'm hoping for a refund. Fat chance.
Wayne 2008 Goldwing (new 9-10 from box)

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
imported post

I had the one that screws on top of the valve. It works, it does detect the air pressure but after a while it was making my valves leak. I only have the old style rubber valves. Maybe if I upgrade to steal (Strait) valves it would work better. I liked that I didn't have to crawl on the ground to check my air pressure however, I took them off last tire change because of the leaky valve issue. Since the sensors are removed I've not had a leaking valve issue.

Just my experience and like I said I liked the system enough that I might upgrade the valves and try again?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.