Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Saw an article in MCN years ago that works very well. By using a sureform file{kinda like a cheese grater} you can round off the ridge & smooth cupped tread. Put bike on center stand idiling in 2nd or 3rd gear & drag file over tread holding filewith 1 hand. Try both& it will knock it out of your hands. Be patient & rubber will be removed slowly. Stay away from the center &concentrate on rough stuff. You might think you're piling miles on the floor but most of side rubber isleft on the tire when it's changed anyhow. Not only is it quiter but by restoring roundish profile handling is much better. Works great!

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

The rubber is pretty tough. I would have thought thiswould be a good one for myth busters. Does it really shave that easily?

I was doinga DITY tire change, but it was more difficult than expected, so Idecided to start off with a hacksaw. Too difficult, so I got out my electric grinder with a 5 inch grinder (not polisher). It took a very long time to section cut the rubber to the rim. I gave up on the tire removal and took the rim to the shop for tire replacement.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

It don't cut like butter but fast enough. Works slow enough to make it pretty much dummy proof, that is you are not likely to ruin a tireby giving it a try. Flat blade works best in a proper handle. The stuff you were trying to cut included belts & such that stiffens sidewalls & beads. Important to hold handle toward front of bike & let it drag with light one hand pressure.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

You mean grinding not grooming right?
I'd rather buy better tires that are already round. If you're having to grind a motorcycle tire into round then you contact the guy in China. I've heard of riders snipping tires but even that is risky. Changing a tire's mass is not a good idea without the proper knowledge and equipment.
Grooming is for dogs, cats and horses

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I gotta agree with that.

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a good idea to me, all you have to remove is those thin little edges next to the grooves. I thought about that but hadn't decided what kind of tool to use but got rid of the problem by getting rid of the tire instead.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

With a not even half worn out tire, it may sound like a good idea. We know that probably the majority of us do notreplace our tires until they are worn out. And, how many miles does it take before they start to cup? Not to mention that annoying leaning noise.

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

The Bridgestones I put on as the second set of tires were making some noise before 1000 miles and before the useful life was gone it was terrible. Unless I was going perfectly straight, which I don't do much on the roads I ride, I couldn't hear the engine , radio or anything else. If you have ever ridden along beside a truck with big mud tires you know what it sounded like. I thought many times about shaving those edges off but never did, the rear tire didn't last long enough for me to get around to that.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

I'd try it in a New York minute. In fact I think I will in the near future.

It used to be really common to true auto tires by cutting them back into round to make them last longer. This isn't much different.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I'd try it in a New York minute. In fact I think I will in the near future..
Me too, ..... after you.

Well, someone needs to try this this weekend and report back.

This as a winter project would take too long toreport back.

I wonder what the hot cutting knife would do.

Why not me? Well, of course I just put on new tires, ha. Do as I say, not as I do.:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I suspect the hot knife would not be too good a deal. That is usually for regrooving tires, mostly dirt track stuff. Cuts too deep for this. When done properly the sureform file takes very little rubber at a time. Bet you guys with cruise control can do a better job than I can with the Interstate as I would like a little more tire speed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.