Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems technical and MC related because sometimes we need to change tires w/o the aid of a high capacity air compressor.

I watched several youtube videos whereby people used rapidly heated air to get the tire to seal against the rim. Really rather exciting.

I have not done this but I damn sure am going to try it because it looks like a lot of fun and could be a useful skill.

Question 1: Do yall have any experience with this inflation method? Tips? Tricks?

Question 2: What accelerant should I use? I current have carb cleaner (which burns well but more controlled than gasoline), gasoline and ether (starting fluid) which seems to be even more violent than gasoline.

·
big PIA
1,367 Posts
I have done it with starting fluid on semi tire and car tires, have never changed a bike tire yet, getting ready to order tires and change them myself by hand.
I know with starting fluid it does not take much, be very sparing with it

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
I have done it with starting fluid on semi tire and car tires, have never changed a bike tire yet, getting ready to order tires and change them myself by hand.
I have done this as well but on a set of steel rims. ( yes rims use to be steel) ...lol never tried it in aluminum rims

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts

Use VERY VERY sparingly! There is not a huge air volume to a MC tire and when lit, those gases create a very large volume increase!

Seen it done with starter fluid on a large truck tire and he didn't use very much. It actually jumped into the air enough to almost flip over. That was a BIG heavy tire too.

Not sure I would try it. Please video and post it if you go.

Tim

·
Administrator
24,383 Posts
I've done that several times but the last time I tried it the starting fluid wasn't volatile enough to do the job, it would just burn. Never needed any help on motorcycle tires, just large tires that have a big gap between the bead and rim.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
Good luck, sounds dangerous to me. We have a shop her Temecula Motor Sports that will mount and balance the tire off the bike for $15.00 . You might try a few shops near you to see what they charge with the wheel off the bike.

·
1984 GL1200 Interstate
58 Posts
I've done it on garden tractor tires and wheelbarrow tires and it's fun, but it's a lot safer to wrap a ratcheting tie down strap around the circumference of the tire and tighten it until the bead makes good enough contact with the wheel rim and then airing it up. I know, I'm such a buzz kill.

CrabbyJack

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.