Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just got down and looked at my read tire and noticed cuting but what concerned me was when I looked at the tread depth with a very bright flash I see a green indicator showing through and on the side of the tread I see what appears cord. I have 12,200 miles on the stock GL_1800 Dunlpo tires should I just put new ones on immediatelty befor heading to the hill on a 500 mile trip.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

I just got down and looked at my read tire and noticed cuting but what concerned me was when I looked at the tread depth with a very bright flash I see a green indicator showing through and on the side of the tread I see what appears cord. I have 12,200 miles on the stock GL_1800 Dunlpo tires should I just put new ones on immediatelty befor heading to the hill on a 500 mile trip.

·
Registered
267 Posts
imported post

without any doubt I would replace the tire and how is the front tire you might want to replace as a set

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

I'd sure like to see a picture of that one. I've never heard of a "green indicator" on a Dunlop, and I've never seen anyone go down to cord up on the side of a touring compoundtire. I fry a 'Wing rear tireevery year- but always seem to waste the middle first (and I activelyseek twisties).

Is the tread delaminating from the carcass, or is the tread pattern completely gone (bald) ?

·
Administrator
26,528 Posts
imported post

You got more miles out of your tires than most do so be happy and put some new ones on.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Okay got the back tire off and the front one too, do I have to pull the rotaor off the front rim to have the tire replaced. I'll see if I can get a picture. But I really need to know if these rotors have to come off the rim..

·
Administrator
26,528 Posts
imported post

Depends on what kind of tire machine is going to be used. Probably a good idea to go ahead and remove the rotors just in case.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Okay we have them off and we'll be on our way to the shop tuesday since they are not open on Monday. Does any good honda shop know what direction to put the tire on since I notice an arrow on the rim showing what way the tire rotates. I'm assuming there must be an arrow on the tire to show them what way to put the tire on. I also am assuming the arrows on the tire and rim should be facing the same way. I see no arrows on the backrim to tell them. Please advise.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Any good shop will know which direction the tyre goes and if not they'll just look at the tyre they're taking off.

Don't expect your new tyres Tuesday as even though they probably have $10,000 or more worth of tyres in stock Mr. Murphy says the ones that fit your bike will have to be ordered.:ROFL:

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I have the front and rear time in the back room and will be taking them two new Dunlop Elite III to put on. I knew this was coming so I bought them while they were on sale. I do however have a new problem I need your guys help with. I have the bike on the center stand and the left exhaust pipe off sine that was the only way I could get the tire and rim out but now when I go to put the tire and rim on in practicing what I am about to do when I get the new tire on I can't get the tire and rim back up inside. I ca only lean the bike so far forward with the from tire off until the center stand will colaspe and drop the bike to the ground without the rear wheel on and if I use a jsck stand under the single shock on this GL-1800 the bike will fall over since I have no one to steady it as I do this. Got any idead of how to get about 4" of more clearance so I can get this tire and rim back underneath.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

You got the wheel/tyre off so it will go back on without re-positioning the bike.:?

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

However if I need more room to get under it how would you guys suggest doing it considerating my mess described above.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Do a search on 1800 tire removal.

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

YES.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
imported post

Put the front one on first then may be use a floor jack ? I do not know I have not taken both off at same time

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
imported post

From Harbor Freight - it's on sale too - $99.99, then use a 20% off coupon for $80 out the door.

I have one of these and it works like a champ.

If you have to, put blocks under the swing arms, put the front wheel back on, then jack that puppy up.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Well the idea of dropping the front down to the ground while using ratchet straps to assure the centerstand doesn't colapse gave me all the clearnace I needed to roll the back tire underneath without a glitch. Got home at 3:07, changed cloths and had the entire bike back together by 4:30. Checked tire pressure front and rear and now have 41 pounds in both tires. Bike goes out tomorrow for a test ride and scuff in the new tires. I'd like to thank ALL of you for your input , ideas and probelm solving techniques. Thanks for being there.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,483 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
Any good shop will know which direction the tyre goes and if not they'll just look at the tyre they're taking off.
I agree if you know it's a good shop!!! When I first got mine running I had new tires mounted at the dealership in Wytheville, Va. They were VERY arrogant and tried to cast the impression that they knew alot more about the bike than I did. And guess what. After taking about an hour to mount the two tires I went to pick them up, checked the rotation and said I think the rotation on the front tire was wrong. The "mechanic" said no, it's on correctly. I informed them that the speedomeder hook-up was on the left side of the wheel and since the rotation of the tire was going to be forward, why was the arrow pointing backward???

That incident and the parts man later telling me there was no difference between the regulator's on the carb'd and fuel injected GL1200's, well..... I've never darkened the doorway there since....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.