Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I put a new donlop tire on my 1200 goldwing and it leaks very slow around the rim. i took it off and cleaned the rim good and it still leaks. Can i put a tube in it?

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
imported post

Yes you can tube it. I had an issue like that about 6 years ago and I had a tube put in it. The only thing I highly suggest is to have it balanced afterwards. I ran the tube through 2 tires before I sold the bike but I never had a problem. It was on a 85I

Tom

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Maybe a dumb question but is the tire seated completely on the rim?

If not, deflate the tire, put a rope or strap around the center of the tire. Apply air to the tire with valve out. Remove rope etc. Put air valve back in and inflate normally.

The pressure on the center of the tire will force it to seat against the bead. If this doesn't help then go the tube route.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Why is this still in the For sale forum?

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

I moved this thread as that this is more of a techinal question to where it can be seen by those who might have a answer....

Claude.....

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

You may have some pitting on the rim which will allow small ammounts of air. That black liquid tire goop works well with sealing and wont harm your rim. it is vulcanizing but will not harm the tire either.

Steel car rims have a tendency to rust at the bead and after wire brushing you still have a bumpy pitted surface. I used that goop and never had a customer return for the same tire.
i dont know what the goop is called as I used to get it from big containers but a tire shop may be able to give you the info.
jose

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

is it too expensive to have a shop mount the tire on the rim in the us?, i've seen and heard of people doing it themselves pretty often. here in mexico they will charge you 3 to 5 bucks.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
imported post

around here it cost about 30-40 dollars to have tires you take to a shop mounted. If you buy from them still around 20 dollars.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

Took my frt. tire to a local HARLEY dealer because of a leaking bead. Shop labor rate was $65.00 an hour. They charged me$16.00:)

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

I took my front rim to have a tire replaced. They lured me when they said $25.oo. I left the tire went to the bank pulled $30 and had some lunch. Arruved at the tire shop to see a $40 dollar invoice.
$25.00 install
$ 5.00 removal of old tire
$ 5.00 tire disposal
Valve stem
Tax.
damn rip off. They will never get another dime from me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.