Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just pulled the rear wheel off my 1500 for a tire change. The old E3 has 25,400 miles on it. The tread is still in pretty good shape, about 50% worn off, the center has flattened noticeably and the edges have worn down about 50% (no chicken ****). The tire is being changed because of cupping. The cupping is about 1/8" at the midpoint between the center of the tread and the outer edge. I could probably get another 5000 miles out of this tire but the cupping noise on the curves has gotten too loud. The front tire has about 12,000 miles on it now but doesn't have any visible cupping.

I've ridden a fair amount of miles on Dunlop Elite 3 bias ply tires now, somewhere around 45-59k miles and still like them. They do sing a bit on the right kind of pavement but only on very smooth asphalt. They perform well in the rain, I haven't had any slipping problem on wet curves. Adding to that the mileage these tires can produce it seems to me they are a good tire for the 1500 and I recommend them.

My bike also has developed a bit of 35mph hands off wobble over the last few thousand miles, it will be interesting to see if changing the rear tire makes any change to that.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

Wow! That's amazing mileage. I've never gotten anywhere close to that many miles on a tire.

Q

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

I have never gotten close to that either. I take it pretty easy on my tires too. I guess when you guys talk about spending the money for top end tires, I need to start paying more attention. Where do the Dunlaps fall as far as price?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/ is having a sale this month on Dunlops. I bought my rear tire from them back in October and prices have gone up some since then, but it's a 50% off sale till the end of the month. They order the tires straight from Dunlop and re-ship it out to you once they get it in house. Takes about 2 weeks that way but at least you know the tire hasn't been sitting on a shelf somewhere for a year or more.

·
Administrator
26,177 Posts
imported post

A set of tires wouldn't last that long on my bike if I hauled it on a trailer.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I was very surprised at the total mileage on the rear tire, I thought it was around 18,000 until I looked in my book. I have the mileage and dates posted in a small tablet in my owner's manual and that's what it showed. I double checked and my book shows this is the third E3 I've put on the bike, the first one was damaged by road debris at 7000 miles. The last E3 on the front got 16,000 miles on it when I replaced it. The tread grooves had gotten very thin in the center of the tread and the hands off 35mph wobble was becoming very noticeable.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I changed mine out at 14,000+ and I know I could have gotten plenty more.

This last time I went with the GT Pilots just to see how I would like them. Well, I only have 2,000 miles on them so far, but I really like the way they handle. They do stick to the road like others have said and the little rain I got caught in was no problem.

It will be interesting to see what mileage I get from them. If I get at least 10,000 from them, I would get them again because of the way they handle.

BTW,,,,,,,,, I ran 2 sets of E-3's before the Pilots,,,,, so I do know the difference. And I would recommend the E-3's as I was also very pleased with them.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I got 40,000kilometers(25,000miles) on my front E3 last year. I was running [email protected] 40PSI.

I'll be taking my front wheel and another new E3 in to get installed/balanced by my man today and plan on running it @37psi and see what the difference is. I'm happy with the performance/mileage they give.

So far, my rear E3 has just over 18,000K/12,000mi on it and it is wearing okay. I just ordered a new one with the idea of changing it out just before I head back east and to the NASSIR II event in Sept., after putting another estimated10,000k/6,200mi on it.

I have noticed the rear tire howls when leaned over(started after about 2,500k/1,500mi), unlike the Dunlop K177, which was on it when I bought the bike and I put 24,000k/15,000mi on the K177(with a mushroom plug in it!), with who knows how many put on it by the PO.

Dusty

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Well you know how it is Dusty when we rode together part way to NASSIR1, I ride like an old man so the tires last longer.:cooldevil:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Yeah, it was 'refreshing' to ride the speed limit, which I suspect most riders do, when 'on tour', along with myself, in congested areas.

When riding in my 'usual haunts', or in more open areas, the speed limit is something we observe when we want to slow down the pace some. High speeds, high temps and heavy loads make for accelerated tire wear. I can/do often ride at both ends of the spectrum, sometimes just 'chuggin' along drinking up the scenery/sounds/smells, while next minute I'mtrying to keep the rev limiters from kickin in.

En route to NASSIR I, before I hooked up with Roger and then you three, there were a few areas(mostly in Wyoming) that I was travelling in triple digits for miles on end. They don't call it the'High Lonesome' for nothing. :realshocked: Nothing but the oddsemi and pick-up hauling ahorse trailer and none of 'em doing under 85. :action: That's where I was only getting 95 miles per tankfull. :shock:

Yet, on the Blue Rige Parkway, I rarely exceeded the posted speed limit of 45mph ..... by too much

Biggest factors affecting tire milage is road temps, speed and load. The lower you stay on those 3 factors, (assuming you keep your tires properly inflated!) the higher mileage you will get from your tires! ;)

Dusty

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
En route to NASSIR I, before I hooked up with Roger and then you three, there were a few areas(mostly in Wyoming) that I was travelling in triple digits for miles on end.
We found out in Marion IL that you don't pay too much attention to traffic lights either. :cooldevil::cheeky1: Maybe it was just that swamp water we had a dinner that had gone to your head. :cheeky1::cheeky1:

John

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I think Dusty was momentarily confused since Canada uses a slightly redder shade of red in their traffic signals.:cheeky1::cheeky1:

I just took my bike out for a quick ride with the new rear tire installed. Sure is nice and quiet now and most of the 35mph wobble is gone now so some of that is definitely caused by the rear wheel. The wobble isn't totally gone, but it's much less than half as much as it was with the old rear tire. This pretty well proves to me that either tire can cause it.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
....and most of the 35mph wobble is gone now so some of that is definitely caused by the rear wheel. The wobble isn't totally gone, but it's much less than half as much as it was with the old rear tire. This pretty well proves to me that either tire can cause it.
Just tested my bike again yesterday with the Pilot GT's now at more than 10,000 miles, and still no wobble. I even tried to induce it with a little slap on the bars from 25-35, and steady as can be. Kind of surprised really. I've been very anal about the tire pressures this time around too, never letting them get down more than 2 PSI.

John

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
We found out in Marion IL that you don't pay too much attention to traffic lights either. :cooldevil::cheeky1: Maybe it was just that swamp water we had a dinner that had gone to your head. :cheeky1::cheeky1:

John

:D I was waiting for that one, John!

I could make the excuse that I couldn't see because of the proliferation of bull rushes that sprouted up inside my eyeballs from that obnoxious waste they call 'filtered drinking water' there, but I won't . Plain n simple, ... I wasn't paying close enough attention to which lane the red was for.I thought it was for the left turn lanes.:baffled:

There aresome subtle differences/nuances in the traffic light 'patterns', between our countries and I was just plain old 'Lucky' :gunhead: on more than one account that time. :2finger:

Ken

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

I'm in the dunlop boat with Exavid.........

I ran 13,000 miles last year on the tires that were on. I felt the front was thin when I bought the bike, and STILL ran the 13,000. I bought a pair of tires over the winter and replaced the front. Heck, I think the back will go at least another 8,000. Dunlope Elite II....... I like the white letters.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

BTW for those in the US who consider such matters, the Dunlop E3 I have is marked 'Made in the USA' on the sidewall.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

Exavid

Any idea why you had cupping appear on the rear tire?

I see cupping on my front tires all the time, but I have never seen it on the rear.

True it's a different bike with different tires, but I still wonder.

·
Premium Member
61,440 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
A set of tires wouldn't last that long on my bike if I hauled it on a trailer.
Boy I'm with you.. I can't imagine how they do that..

Doesn't seem to matter what I put on the ground 10 to 12k milesand there toast.....:?..........

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Love the E-III's, should have written it down when I changed them. Second season on the front tire and one season on the rear. Both still look good. Majority is one-up though. No mountains, well a few........

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

English Bob wrote:
Any idea why you had cupping appear on the rear tire?
I don't know, the front still looks good and the drop in noise level was dramatic with the new rear tire. Even riding on a straight road there was a lot less noise. Most of my riding is solo with maybe 20% two up. It might be that I lean on the throttle a bit, I do use both the front and rear brakes which might add to the cupping. The rear tire didn't get noisy until the last few thousand miles of the 25,000 but it crept up slowly enough that I didn't find it objectionable until the past couple months.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.