Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I looked at a set of Elite III's on the net around $130.00/Front and $160.00/rear, 290.00 no tax or shipping. Locally they're about170.00/Front and 230.00/Rear including tax, 10 bucks each to mount them. Well i'm glad I started checking before I bought the Internet tires.....nobody around here will mount a tire unless they sell it. I even went to the Harley shop and they wouldn't do it. It's like all the dealers and aftermarket shops got together and won't step on each others toes. I did find a guy about an hour away but he charges 50 bucks a tire to mount them, there go the savings. Just telling anyone thinking of buying tires online to check and make sure they have a place to mount them before they make the purchase.

Al

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I'd agree. There is a shop nearby that only does Motorcycle tires and they have two prices for mounting. A very low one if you buy from them and and a much higer one if you bring the tires. Basically it's a wash.

The only way I have seen to beat that is to invest in the HF tire tool and MC adapter and even then, the return on investment is several years and that's IF you consider your time free.

The BEST way to beat the price is to get one of your local MC clubs to buy one machine that every member can use. But I don't see that happening in any of the chapters in MY area.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the info Predator

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

I just bought a new Metzler front tire from AMT online for around $135 with shipping. I brought it in to be mounted at my local Harley dealer (they were actually the cheapest) for $30. Put 'er back on the bike today and test rode it. Rides real nice. Will do the same for the rear tire when it wears down. :battle:

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Even if you can change it on your own, is there a way to balance it? Everyone seems to think a tire isn't something to skimp on, but especially for the front, balancing would seem to be a critical step.The problem I was talking about is in my local area and was just mean't as a heads up. I figured a competitor would mount it,thats why I checked HD, but they wouldn't touch it. This whole bike thing is getting ridiculous, I paid 100 bucksapiece for mynew 16" truck tires and they mounted them for free and there's a lot more material in a truck tire. The price they want for these bike tires is nothing but a rip-offand now the dealers are trying to beat the internet.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
imported post

We have a few guys around here that will mount and ballance for 15.00 a tire. If you are in the west burbs of Chicago I cna get you his name. He does it out of his house but has a very very nice set up. He just put a set of Dunlop III on the wing and a set of Diablos on the CBR for me about 3 weeks ago.

·
Administrator
57,503 Posts
imported post

Don't know about other areas of the country, but here in Mesa and Phoenix metro.... The mom and pop m/c shops abound all over the place.

Not hard to find one to install tires on your bike.

No need to find a major player like Honda or HD.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I have mounted and balanced a few 'Wing tires. Balancing really isn't hard to do, it's merely a matter of setting the ends of the axle across a couple supports that are reasonably level, spinning the tire (not very fast or you'll wait all afternoon for it to stop), marking the high point and repeating several times. Once you have a group of chalk marks you put a stick on tire weight, I use 1/2oz. and cut them in half for 1/4oz. of needed. Then wipe the chalk or tape marks and spin again. Eventually you'll get the marks spaced pretty much randomly around the tire. That means it's balanced. I've found this method to be accurate down to 1/4oz. and I've had my bike at speed over 100mph with tires balanced this way and found the ride to be very smooth.

On a lot of tires you'll find a dot or paint mark. This usually means it's the lightest spot on the tire. It goes next to the valve stem in the wheel. It's a good idea to change valve stems every second tire on a given wheel.

If you do a search in the box at the top of the page you'll get a lot of information. Also a Google search on the subject will bring up a good bit of stuff for your edification and reading pleasure.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
imported post

I've change my back tire once, and my front tire twice, with just hand tire tools. It wasn't too bad. Not quick, but definitely cheap and easy. I balanced them basically the same way exavid said, except I put a piece of shafting in the vice & slid the wheel on that to spin it.

Rich Howerton, you're not too far from me. Hope we can meet up sometime.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I really wasn't looking to pick up another skill, I'll do a search and see what it all entails though. I may end up not having a choice but to start doing it myself. Thanks for the info. Just remember to check what the situation is where you live before you buy. Oh yeah, even the mom and pop shops froze me out unless they sold the tire. I can see their point in someways. They provide a local service and make money from selling the tire and mounting. I'm just cutting into their profits by buying the tires cheaper somewhere else and want them to do a job the internet couldn't provide. The Honda dealer here has about 6 people working there and they have to eat too, so I just ended up buying my tires from them.....keep the money local.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

In the long run, buying local is probably the right thing to do. Online buying has not been a real factor yet in these parts--due to high shipping costs-- so shops will still mount tires from away for reasonable costs. And frankly, we have a local place that is very competitive with online buying. Sooo, we support him.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
imported post

See you mare in y-town call up motorcycle dream shop and tell them the internet price you got and ask them if they can match it.Also tell them you heard the mount and balence for 15 per tire if its removed from the bike.They will usually go along with this also.Then go down to lisbon ohio and get them done when they come in.About one block south from the courthouse.

Saves lots of time and money.One more thing you may want to check there website they often have the tires for the same or less then the internet already.Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
imported post

By the way buy pilot GT's!!Got them for less then 300 mounting balancing and taxes included.If you don't believe you should go with this tire.Come over and take the bike for a spin.It will make you a believer.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

KSWEBB, I already bought the front, i'm having Gollans in Y-town do the tire. Is the 'Dream Shop' in Lisbon ????? We'll have to get together for a ride. I'm leaving for Columbus in about an hour and won't be home til Sunday night. I'll send you a PM, look for it. Thanks for the info, i'll do the rear tire as soon as I can order it, thanks.....Al.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
imported post

BlackGW wrote:
I've change my back tire once, and my front tire twice, with just hand tire tools. It wasn't too bad. Not quick, but definitely cheap and easy. I balanced them basically the same way exavid said, except I put a piece of shafting in the vice & slid the wheel on that to spin it.

Rich Howerton, you're not too far from me. Hope we can meet up sometime.
The guy that does mine has a little jig just like Exavid said. and the CBR I ahve had it to over 160 and no shake or anything.

BlackGW I need to doa few things to the wing plugs, plug wires,I left her sitting all summer so she needs some looking after before I ride her too much.

Where is compton? ? ? ? ?

·
Premium Member
2,966 Posts
imported post

The reason for these shop charging more for installing outside tire is Insurance.When atire dealer sells you a tire ,he gets a Gaurantee from the manufacturer that if any defect in the tire exist ,he will get a credit for it.

Many old rotted tires break while stretching them onto thier rims.Tghis goes for cage as well as bike tires.One the installer breaks it then he has to pay out the valkuue of the tire.I am pretty sure you will have an incredible time trying to get your money back anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,245 Posts
imported post

I just had a new Metzler installed on my GL1500 and was surprized at the deal I got at a dealer. I checked online and was seeing the tire at about $132. Plus I had to pay shipping. I had a dealer do the tire. I drove the bike in and about an hour later I drove out with the new tire. Total cost $170. I am now going to have them do a rear on my gl1100.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
imported post

Predator,I got so fed up with the area shops scratching my wheel,mounting tires backwards,improper balance etc I gave up & bought the HF tire changer,No- Mar removal/install bar & Marc Parnes balancer. Spent some money but at least I now know the job gets done perfectly & I really enjoy doing it! Also, After I balanced the tires using the Parnes balancer the bike seems to ride much smoother. The mirrors no longer bounce making me wonder if the wheels were ever balanced at all in the past.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
imported post

I've been riding for 40 years and always considered tire changing and balancing part of bike maintainance. I use to tire spoons to change the tires (much easier with tubless) a soap solution for installing the new tires and made a rig to hold the axles as I balance them as described above. Not a bad job and I know they are done right.It's usually the newest and lowest paid employee in the shop that changes tires. I also change my valve stems with every tire change might be overkill but it makes me feel better. Ride well, Bob

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
imported post

Rich Howerton wrote:
Where is compton? ? ? ? ?
a little town in CA.....:cheeky1:

Actually, from Lisle: W on 88 about 50 mi, then S on 39 15 mi.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.