Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently installed a new front tire on my 1500. I have read many times not to use soap for mounting the bead because it can corrode the rims. I decided to try spray silicone. (Very slippery and safe for rubber and aluminum). Tire went on easily and both beads popped but the next day I noticed that the air pressure was down to 10 lbs. Aired it up and checked for leaks. It was leaking from a couple of spots at the bead. Dismounted and re-cleaned the bead and rim. Re-mounted using more silicone. Checked for leaks and now it was leaking all around the rim on both sides. :? Dis-mounted once more and cleaned the bead and rim with brake cleaner to remove all traces of the silicone. Re-mounted and now no leaks. I have been checking every day and so far no leaks. I will suggest that the silicone is just too slippery for using to mount a tire???

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
imported post

I know that years ago when I worked automotive we used soapy water because it would evaporate. My guess is once silicon is on there it's going to stay causing issues. I think your suggestion is correct.

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
imported post

The ONLY thing I use Armorall on!! I have found it will not corrode the rim, is just slick enough to help mount/dismount a tire, and will not cause the tire to slide on the rim.

Bill

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
imported post

I use Lemon Pledge Spray, but then make sure to Wipe it off prior to inflating the tire.

·
Premium Member
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

ALEX BERECZKY wrote:
I use Lemon Pledge Spray, but then make sure to Wipe it off prior to inflating the tire.
Another use for Pledge. I see a new commercial in the works. ;)

·
Not Quite Right
2,525 Posts
imported post

We used Pam (the spray on cooking grease)at the auto hobby shop.

Dunno if that's smart or not, but it worked pretty darn well.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

+1 on the armorall. Was turned on to it by a retired service station owner. Said it was the greatest thing for mounting and dismounting tires. Said he used all the tire shop things for all the yrs he ran the station but found out about armoall about same time he sold ststion said it was a shame because it works so well . I' ve used it and it works great.

Wilf

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
imported post

I use to put soapy water, until I dismounted a tire and saw with my own eyes what it did to my aluminum wheel (covered with two coats of clear cloat). I used Armor All, not my idea, I read it at Randakk's:

http://www.randakks.com/TechTip62.htm

He knows what he is talking about. I was able to mount the nexxen on the rear of the 1200. Thanks Randall!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.