Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While i'm on line all day building a website I figured I would get alot of issues of my chest and be able to answer everyone who had the courtesy to respond.

I bought an E-3 tire from Dennis Kirk for a great price. I got shafted 35 bucks EXTRA for mounting and balancing because I didn't buy the tire there.

How do YOU handle this?

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Count yer blessings, lad....in our town, it's $55 a tire whether or not you bought it from them......

How do I solve it? With my trusty Harbor Freight "Portable Tire Changer" screwed to floor in my wife's laundry room!

Buy em' online, swap them myself, and save at least $125 each time I change skins.....

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
My local small town guy does them for $20-30 each with balancing. He was listed as an approved installer from Motorcycle Superstore.

Cousin Jack, I've got a tire changer similar looking to that but it's for auto tires. Is that strictly a motorcycle tire changer? Thanks

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
My local small town guy does them for $20-30 each with balancing. He was listed as an approved installer from Motorcycle Superstore.

Cousin Jack, I've got a tire changer similar looking to that but it's for auto tires. Is that strictly a motorcycle tire changer? Thanks
No, don't think so..... It's listed as their "Portable Tire Changer." They do sell a motorcycle attachment for it, which I bought blindly.....and have never used.....can't figure any use for it! Lol......

To use mine, I center a cold-rolled rod through the bike wheel and the tire changer, then I clamp the rim to the three adjustable clamps, and then I go to it..... It's not easy, but, with instruction off the web, just about anyone can remove and mount tubeless motorcycle tires... (I also use it on my tubed KLR wheels).

UbarW found a link to the machine I have..... on sale for forty bucks!

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=htt.../portable-tire-changer-69686.html&h=bAQF-DNed

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
A Harbor Freight Bead breaker bought on sale for $25.00 and two tire spoons. I have changed every tire I have needed since buying these tools (4). Mounting was $50 at my local stealer, so these tools have paid for themselves several times.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
While i'm on line all day building a website I figured I would get alot of issues of my chest and be able to answer everyone who had the courtesy to respond.

I bought an E-3 tire from Dennis Kirk for a great price. I got shafted 35 bucks EXTRA for mounting and balancing because I didn't buy the tire there.

How do YOU handle this?
The best thing to do is ASK the shop you plan on having work done at before buying anything to bring them to install for you. BTW: (I have mentioned this many times) IF for some reason there is a defect in the item that YOU brought to them to install on your bike, YOU will be expected to pay for the re-replacement of said part.

Things to ask yourself:
How much MIGHT you save?
Do you think the on-line places don't know this?
How much might saving money cost you?

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
I have been riding on the street for 45 years.
I buy my tires from an independant repair shop. He mounts and balances them. I buy stuff on line that he doesn't handle.
It has been my experience that the guy that will do anything possible to save a buck by not supporting a local business is the guy that will whine the loudest when the local shop closes.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
I always try to support the local guy, but at some point, shouldn't the local guy recognize that? Too many times I have walked in and been treated in a way that leads me to believe that customer service is not that important to them. They have a monopoly in the area and they know it.

I recently saw that a local automobile shop has started doing motorcycle state safety inspections and some minor maintenance, so I gave him a try. We got to talking (he is a rider also) and I said I would never again go to the local shop. His reply to me was that he had heard that too many times and that is the reason he started servicing motorcycle also. I wish the local shop would close so that another could take its place. Until then, Bike Bandit and Motorcycle Superstore are my best friends and I am my own mechanic.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
I buy my tires from an independant repair shop. He mounts and balances them. I buy stuff on line that he doesn't handle.
It has been my experience that the guy that will do anything possible to save a buck by not supporting a local business is the guy that will whine the loudest when the local shop closes.
That sounded rather confrontational......

I won't whine at all when our local shop closes. The guy who charges $55 a tire for mounting them even if I buy them from him? He's the same guy who quoted me $100 plus $25 shipping for a Honda ST1300 Service Manual. I went home and found the same thing online for $63 including shipping. I don't mind paying a little above normal, but a 100%? No thanks......

And trust me, I will not whine......

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
That sounded rather confrontational......

I won't whine at all when our local shop closes. The guy who charges $55 a tire for mounting them even if I buy them from him? He's the same guy who quoted me $100 plus $25 shipping for a Honda ST1300 Service Manual. I went home and found the same thing online for $63 including shipping. I don't mind paying a little above normal, but a 100%? No thanks......

And trust me, I will not whine......
If this is the same shop where I had to do an emergency buy of a rear tire 3 years ago I can understand why you would not mind if they went under. They hit me up for almost $400 for a E3 rear tire including the changing out of the tire.

I had to tell the young guy how to get the tire off of the 1800 without disassembling the back of the bike when he already had it on their lift.

Enjoy skiing season CJ.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Ain't that the truth ! :lash:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
I use 3, 24" tire irons and a few pieces of 2x4. Cost=a few wheel weights.
I don't really use local businesses for my bike needs.

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
OLDRIDER2

What local shop are you using for $20?

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Hi Andy. Spanky's Speed Shop over in Cornish. Jerry Day is his name, 625-1079. Small shop in his garage, nice professional tire changer, breaks the bead, quick, and reseats new tire in about 3 minutes. Nice guy.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,911 Posts
I use three tire irons, a two by four and the trailer hitch of my truck to break the bead. I buy my tires online in order to save a buck.

I was under the impression that one of the points of this forum was to assist others to work on their own bikes. There is nothing in my "Rules To Live By" manual that says I am required to support any shop local or otherwise. Sorry but he is on his own. Whine! Whine!

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
I guess I'm fortunate to have two independant shops in my area that are well managed.
Not meant to be confrontational.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
A car jack on the tire next to the rim and raised up under the back of the van breaks the beads nicely, add a strap to hold the tire down into the wheels well and tire levers to spoon the tire off of the rim.

To set the bead I place a strap around the center of the tires tread and then inflate.

To balance add ceramic beads.

Costs me $0.00

Takes up no space in the garage either!

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
True, but I'm not going to throw away $50-$150 extra just to keep some over priced business open either! I asked the nearest Stealer for a price on my new front tire last year, did not tell him I already bought it and installed it myself.
My tire cost me $100 total, they wanted $180 for exact same tire! Mounting was NUTS even if I had bought it from them! Was free though since I mounted my own! So about $150 saved on 1 tire!

Smaller shops may not be as bad on the labor to mount the tire, but the price for the tire is still just as bad. I have a small shop about 20 miles away, the closet one, and he will mount the tires for $10 each if I take in the wheels. Still it's a big pain to drive back and forth and have to wait, money for gas, etc... and it's just plain so easier to mount a tire myself than to mess around closing up the shop and putting things away just to go drive around for nothing. It's not just the money.
If I am going to pull the wheels myself, I can have the tires changed also in less time than driving to the shop, then have the entire bike back together again and ready to ride before I would have even got back from the shop.

Add in the fact that shops are closed on Sunday and Monday and maybe only open till Noon on Saturday also, so that kills changing a tire on a weekend if I had to rely on a shop to mount them.

Having read the horror stories of people having to pay $500 and more for a tire change on the road trips makes me glad I do my own also. As long as I can find a new tire and get off the road to an air compressor I can do my own on a parking lot. Heck for what some people have spent to get a new tire when on the road I could buy all the tools, change 1 tire and toss the tools in the trash and still save $100's!!!

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
If you bought tire elsewhere a dealer is not under any obligation to give you a deal on mounting. I understand where they are coming from. I work in a RV service center. Why should you put your shop at liability risk for someone elses mail order parts?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.