Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1986 gw and 2001 gw trike
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2001 trike and i got a new front tire for it and the sales man said to mount the tire backwards is this the right way

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
i have a 2001 trike and i got a new front tire for it and the sales man said to mount the tire backwards is this the right way
Depends on what tire you have and then still depends.

There are front tires made specifically for trikes. If that, then no.

There are front tires made for motorcycles that are popular with trike owners. If that, then no.

There are tires made for the rear of motorcycles that are the same size as a GL1800 front. It that, then maybe. There are those that believe that the way a rear tire is built, it is designed to sustain the greatest amount of rotational force under acceleration. But when mounted on the front, it really only subject to rotational force under deceleration. Their conclusion is that the tire will fail prematurely if mounted in the normal rotation direction. There are other folks who believe that this is a non-issue in modern tires and that having the tread working to force water to the sides is more important. Do not believe there is a definitive answer yet. Please search "Double Darkside" for more of this ongoing discussion.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
61,278 Posts
My '02 has a rear tire mounted on the front 'Backwards', and this bothers me a bit, because the Rain Sipes are now forcing water to the center of the tread, not away from the tread if it were mounted normally.

as I don't work my brakes hard, I would prefer that I had it mounted in the correct rotational direction, so that if I get caught riding in heavy rain, the water will be forced away from the tread.

for you trike?
when you brake, there is a lot of force on that front wheel, so it would probably be best to mount a Rear Tire, Backwards for you.

which tire? talk to folks who have trikes and get their opinions.

·
Administrator
27,523 Posts
My '02 has a rear tire mounted on the front 'Backwards', and this bothers me a bit, because the Rain Sipes are now forcing water to the center of the tread, not away from the tread if it were mounted normally.
No they are not forcing water to the center, put a piece of glass over the tread and imagine that is the part on the road. That is the sole reason to mount a rear tire backward on the front.

·
Registered
1986 gw and 2001 gw trike
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the information it is a rear tiree look at the one on trike and it was mounded backwards

·
Premium Member
45,522 Posts
I have ran the Bridgestone BT 45 rear tire on the front of my sidecar rig mounted both ways for over 150K miles with no noticeable difference in handling or mileage. Tried the trike tire also, wasn't any better just cost more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In many cases tires are "directional" depending on their specific design & usage and therefore are recommended by the OEM to be mounted as stipulated. The same can apply to motorcycle tires in which the tire sidewall itself has a rotation arrow stamped which stipulates the mounting direction recommended by the manufacturer for the best wear, handling, water and debris discharge and heat dissipation etc.. There is also a recommended air pressure for each specific tire designed for their respective weight capacity, handling characteristics and wear longevity specifications in which the bike manufacturer(s) themselves may or may not be in equal agreement. ;)

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Some tires are marked with an arrow going one way for driven rear wheel, and the other way for front wheel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts