Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Tour with Dunlops front and rear. I had a flat on the rear two or three months ago and replace that tire for a tidy sum of close to four hundred dollars locally. That price was was balancing and mounting on rim plus tire purchase. I had removed tire with help from Dave0430. My question is have any of you plugged a tire and been successful and happy with that repair. This will be like the opinions on running a car tire I know. I have reservations but cost is almost prohibitive. This last tire only has about three or four hundred miles on it basically brand new. I'm wondering if these Dunlops aree really soft and prone to easy penetration. Opinions please.

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,256 Posts
I have two tires right now that are plugged and both are holding air.
one is on Cyndi's car and the other is the front idler wheel on the Bad Boy zero turn mower. that is set at 40 psi.

I have used plugs in the past with okay results, but the new stuff seems to be doing just fine.
I used a regular tire shop in Collinsville for both of these tires, at the same time.

the mower had a big thorn in it, the car had two Roofing nails in it.

·
Pwhoever
3,118 Posts
I have had a few MC tires plugged including 1 that was only about a month old. I drove them until tread was worn down and ready for a replacement. But... when they were plugged, I had taken them to a dealer and had them do the plug and patch from inside the tire. I have never had one of the rope style plugs that get stuffed in from the outside. I dont know if I would trust that. I could easily see if I was out on the road doing that as a temporary method to get somewhere where I could have wheel removed for an inside patch and plug though. I thought I heard though that many places are no longer patching tires because of liability reasons so it will probably be harder to find a place to do that. I know I can still get it done with vehicle tires though.

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,256 Posts
both of mine are the rope plugs.

the car tire was patched with a rope plug first, but it kept loosing air.
when I went to a different tire store, they broke it down, and found 2 nails, not just the one the "other guys" plugged on the car w/o removing it.... ( won't be going back to that store )

the good tire store, then plugged the car tires from the inside with a good patch that has a plug, but also the large diameter 'cap' on it.

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
I have a 2019 Tour with Dunlops front and rear. I had a flat on the rear two or three months ago and replace that tire for a tidy sum of close to four hundred dollars locally. That price was was balancing and mounting on rim plus tire purchase. I had removed tire with help from Dave0430. My question is have any of you plugged a tire and been successful and happy with that repair. This will be like the opinions on running a car tire I know. I have reservations but cost is almost prohibitive. This last tire only has about three or four hundred miles on it basically brand new. I'm wondering if these Dunlops aree really soft and prone to easy penetration. Opinions please.
I've used "PATCH PLUGS" several times. Rear tires seem to catch stuff that was laying flat until the front tire run over it and kicked it up to be caught on end by the rear tire following. Break it down, clean inside, scuff, insert tip from inside, grab with pliars, pull into place with some tire vulcanizing glue on patch, pump up, trim excess. Never had one fail, I keep some on hand, buy at NAPA, they come in sizes to suit.

Short story, in 1980 was working midnight shift on I-95 in Prince William County, rain, I just patrolling, suddenly there at Rt 619 the road was covered in pine needles. I stopped, stepped out, was thousands of 16 penny nails and busted cardboard boxes where they had fallen off a truck. Called VDOT, they come out with shovels & magnet truck to clean it up, but in the mean time I routed NB traffic off exit to get back on up the road, using Rt 1 I hoped. Before I went home at the end of the shift, found 6 nails in each rear tire of my police car, none in the fronts, not one. Never found the errant truck, but did have one 18 wheeler at the scales (3 or 4 miles up the road) with 16 flats, only his steer tires escaped puncture.

·
Administrator
22,368 Posts
I have run the rope plugs, in the rear tire on a couple of bikes, with no problem. That said,
...while running those plugged tires, I sort of took it easy, and checked the air, and plugs, daily.

I've also changed relatively new tires because of a captured screw.
If you have the time and money, why take a chance?

·
Registered
153 Posts
5 sets of E-3 and E-4 Dunlap tires and never had a flat from the tire itself. Both mine were the silly OEM rubber valve stems. The nice thing about Dunlap Elites is they stay up for quite a distance at 0 psi, it's why I stay with them. My rear ride 30+ miles before I had to stop, I heard the valve blow but didn't know what it was till the back end got squirrelly. Still I've known many that plug a tire and keep in riding. My last bike caught nails and bolts like a magnet and I plugged them to get home. My choice would be to have it patched from the inside when possible. A lot will depend the size and location of a puncture. I've always been told to never patch/plug a hole in the side of a tire; but if it gets you off the highway I'd plug and go very carefully to where I can replace it. A nail hole is typically much smaller than a bolt hole and I'd feel comfortable plugging it. A bolt is likely to damage too much of the radial belts for me to trust. Also consider the tire's balance will be affected so have it rebalanced after patching or using a gummy worm to plug a hole; beads help in this scenario. BTW I get both my tires for what you paid for the rear only, mounting of course can be pricey so shop for tires ahead of time and check around for who mounts then for less than an entire arm! My son works for a tow company and auto shop and that's nice. I used to take my tires in where I bought my bike and they only charged me $50-60, but I saved them the work of pulling the wheels off the bike.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
I plugged 1 and left the house for Des Moines Iowa. Checked it every hour until I got to the border. No pressure changes told me it was going to work. Rode the whole trip on the rope plug, then replaced the tire after the trip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts