Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time for me to purchase my first set of replacement tires for my 08 viiia 1800 gl. At 924 lbs dry they need to be good quality. I read good reviews on shinko any advice?

·
Administrator
25,749 Posts
Run flat 195/55 16 passenger car tire on the rear and avon cobra on the front.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you are wanting MC tires, most wingers like the Bridgestone’s (Better grip, short life span, less cupping), next they like the Dunlop E4’s (wear longer, stiff-almost a runflat, noisey), then there is the Metszler-noise, good grip, wear fairly long). Reports are all over the board regarding tar-snakes, grooved roadways and wet grip.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've heard of people doing that Dave. How does it handle? If it ever come apart wouldn't it dismantle everything and everyone around it?

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,268 Posts
a RF ZP tire will never come apart on a motorcycle, it is not loaded heavy enough to even begin to get it warm.

I used an IR Temp gun, and the rear tire nearly always is about 127*F with a max of ~ 140*F

Once at a Love's I stopped for fuel, measured all of my axles, bike and trailer, all of them were within 5* of 127*F
and a Harley pulled up next to me, and his axles were the same temps as mine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Blinded....I appreciate your insight. I was leaning towards the bridgestones simply for economic reasons however I dont put economics above saftey.

·
Administrator
25,749 Posts
Blinded....I appreciate your insight. I was leaning towards the bridgestones simply for economic reasons however I dont put economics above saftey.
I put Bridgestones on my 08 as the first replacement tires, hated them for lots of reasons, easier to list what I did like about them, nothing. Went darkside then and never even considered another rear motorcycle tire since. 200,000 miles since.

Reactions: BadMonk's1200

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
a RF ZP tire will never come apart on a motorcycle, it is not loaded heavy enough to even begin to get it warm.

I used an IR Temp gun, and the rear tire nearly always is about 127*F with a max of ~ 140*F

Once at a Love's I stopped for fuel, measured all of my axles, bike and trailer, all of them were within 5* of 127*F
and a Harley pulled up next to me, and his axles were the same temps as mine

I put Bridgestones on my 08 as the first replacement tires, hated them for lots of reasons, easier to list what I did like about them, nothing. Went darkside then and never even considered another rear motorcycle tire since. 200,000 miles since.

Ok Dave, I've seen that expression now several times on this site. I will fully submit my childlike ignorance on the subject and ask if it involves black masses or putting babies on spikes. You all seemed like such gentlemen. Lol

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Lol,it means running a car tire instead an mc tire

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
25,749 Posts
Ok Dave, I've seen that expression now several times on this site. I will fully submit my childlike ignorance on the subject and ask if it involves black masses or putting babies on spikes. You all seemed like such gentlemen. Lol
We used to say "come to the dark side, we have cookies" but I think we ran out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's time for me to purchase my first set of replacement tires for my 08 viiia 1800 gl. At 924 lbs dry they need to be good quality. I read good reviews on shinko any advice?
Bridgstones. Open your trunk and look at the tag that's on the right side and look for the Bridgstone sizes and pressures. I have an 08 with 72,000 miles on it. I bought it with 24,000 miles. I will be putting my second set of Stones on it at the end of the season. I get about 18,000 to 20,000 miles per set. I'm in Oregon and run into rain and the Stones grip very good taking corners on wet roads and they have good grip on dry roads. I drive in the 60 mph zone on public back roads and 70 to 75 on the freeways. I rub the pegs ALOT going onto freeways that have one of those 180* curves (and it scares the crap out of me when I do it having my right or left foot kick up).

I replaced a set of Metszler that were on the bike when I bought it. They were pretty worn out and had a lot of cupping, especially the rear tire.
Let us all know what you choose, don't just ask then run away! ;)

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
461 Posts
Stay as far away from Shinkos as you can. I won a free set at Americade three years ago. Had them mounted about 6 months later. Dealer had a hard time balancing them, had to turn the tire three different times ans still ended up with almost 6 ounces on the rear. The tires were noisy from day one and the rear developed a weird wear pattern. I was running 39 front and 41 rear, the same as my Stones. The front tire followed every little groove in the pavement and were terrible on tar snakes. Wet traction was really bad.
6000 miles and the tires were just about worn out and I'm not an agressive rider.

·
Administrator
25,749 Posts
Stay as far away from Shinkos as you can. I won a free set at Americade three years ago. Had them mounted about 6 months later. Dealer had a hard time balancing them, had to turn the tire three different times ans still ended up with almost 6 ounces on the rear. The tires were noisy from day one and the rear developed a weird wear pattern. I was running 39 front and 41 rear, the same as my Stones. The front tire followed every little groove in the pavement and were terrible on tar snakes. Wet traction was really bad.
6000 miles and the tires were just about worn out and I'm not an agressive rider.
That's pretty close to the experience I had with Bridgestones.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
I run Michelin Commander II front and back. Excellent wet handling and good wear. Also run balancing beads front and back, too.

·
Administrator
59,268 Posts
Del,

we talked on the phone tonight, really enjoyed it.
with your leg problem getting on the bike, look at this tire, it is low profile and will drop the seat about an inch, which should help.

I just bought one to put on my bike, got it in the garage.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It might have been a fun experiment to take the weights off and put beads in the tires. I had 1 shinko and it was always slippery. Sold the bike telling the guy that other tire brands work better.

·
Administrator
59,268 Posts
Got some updated information on car tires, just thought y'all ought know :)

·
Premium Member
264 Posts

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,240 Posts
The card side still had cookies.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
John you're a funny guy ! Same here it was ni ce talking with you . I love that warning!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts