Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a rear flat the other day on my CB750 - scary. That was my first flat since I began riding in the mid 60's. My wife is new to riding an has a VT750 which also has tube tires and I'm nervous about her getting a flat so I've been looking at tire monitors as an early warning. Are there any that have senders that can be recharged or take a battery change? Near as I can tell you have to buy new senders every 3 years or so. Also, any recommendations on brand would be appreciated.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I haven't seen any yet Terry.
Remember that tubes usually go fast if punctured as they tend to rip

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't seen any yet Terry.
Remember that tubes usually go fast if punctured as they tend to rip
Yes they do. I had some warning though. I felt a very slight wobble about 10 miles before the doodoo hit the fan but didn't realize the cause. It was a screw and my 3 rim strips evidently kept the tire pressure from dropping too quickly. I think an early warning would've been of value. In any event, I'd like to give my wife every possible advantage - red light, pull over immediately! I think I'll put one of these contraptions on the Goldwing too. I'd hate to try wrestling that behemoth to the side of the road if I was down to the rims. Just got to find a good one to buy.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
I have a TireGard TPMS on the wing and switch it to my Triumph Tiger 800 XC (tubed)
Works great, batteries replaceable in the sensors and monitor-last about a year or 2 or longer. There is a warning sound and light, but I can't hear it. http://www.jpcycles.com/product/217-533 you can often find them used for $80-$90 on the forums, Ebay, Craigs list

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After reading many reviews, the TireGard looks like it might have some problems - at least I saw several bad reviews of it. The Doran seems to be well-liked. I've contacted Doran to find out what their replacement senders cost but I'm getting no response. I've seen stuff like "they used to be $50 each but now they're $25. I'd go for $25 but not $50. Maybe I'll give them a call. I hate when a company doesn't respond to questions. Makes me wonder what'll happen if I run into a problem with their product. To save time, does anyone have a definite price on replacement pressure sensors?

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
I had the Smart Tire TMS and it worked great for the 3 years after I bought it. The readout was portable and flashed a warning light when tire was too hot or low pressured. Too bad the company was bought out and the motorcycle side was discontinued. I have one bad sensor in the rear which is the most important.
I too am looking to replace what I have, but many dont include the temp monitoring which I feel is just as important an indicator of low pressure.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I spoke with the salesperson at Doran today. Normally sensors are $50 each bought separately. But when you buy one of their systems you register it and when your sensors die you can buy them direct from Doran for $25 each. So the replacements must be ordered from Doran directly and you must have registered the monitor.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
I have the TireGuard from Big Bike Parts. I haven't had any problems with them.
Both the monitor and senders have batteries you replace when they die. The only issue I have is that the sender powers down after 20 minutes of no activity, to conserve battery life. This means you have to turn on the monitor, then move the bike to get them to power and sink up.
I accomplish this by turning on my monitor, then rolling the bike out of the garage. This is usually enough motion to power up the sender.

Got mine from Cyclemax... http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/129/42911

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.