Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Went to the Honda dealer near me and got a price for two new tires, mounting and balancing. $110.00 for the front, $145 for the rear and $104.50 for installation and balancing. About crapped right there. Need to save my pennies for a long time. Man that seems awful high. (tires were Elite lll). Is this about right?

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
imported post

Removing the wheels myself, I paid about £220 pound for the privilege of rubber on the rims, which included balancing. For my SE1500.:15red:

Can't beat the smell of burning rubber!!!!!!!!!!:whip::whip::whip:

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
imported post

There is a dealer near me that had a deal where...when you buy the tires from them, installation is free. Bought two sets from them so far.

The tire prices you were quoted are pretty much in line and the labor isn't all that bad either...if you ever have removed the wheels and replaced the tires on one of these, you would gladly pay the money if you could.:baffled:

Greg

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
imported post

I got a set of bridestone spitfires for 139.00 delivered from american motorcycle tire. 12.oo for a set of tire spoons and 10.oo a piece to have the stealer spin balance them for a total of 171.00 complete so that sounds kinda high to me but the elite III is probably a bit more expensive than the stones.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

hockeydad33 wrote:
Went to the Honda dealer near me and got a price for two new tires, mounting and balancing. $110.00 for the front, $145 for the rear and $104.50 for installation and balancing. About crapped right there. Need to save my pennies for a long time. Man that seems awful high. (tires were Elite lll). Is this about right?
"arizonamoto.com" for tires!

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
imported post

I'm shopping for tires myself and those tire prices are pretty much what I'm finding here. I'm removing the rims myself and taking them to the shop, though. The labor charge sounds fairly reasonble, it is a lot of work getting the rims off and back on. I just don't trust mechanics as a whole (although I've known a couple of good ones over the years) and prefer to do as much of my own work as I can. Gives me a chance to check anything else that may need some attention.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

wildman wrote:
I'm shopping for tires myself and those tire prices are pretty much what I'm finding here. I'm removing the rims myself and taking them to the shop, though. The labor charge sounds fairly reasonble, it is a lot of work getting the rims off and back on. I just don't trust mechanics as a whole (although I've known a couple of good ones over the years) and prefer to do as much of my own work as I can. Gives me a chance to check anything else that may need some attention.
I buy the tires and then let the "Harley Shop" ( not a Dealership) put them on for $25 !:baffled:

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

These are about the same as dealer prices here but you know what kind of markup they are used to:doh:

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Local bike shop close to my place includes installation and balance in the price. About $60 for Dunlop 404s frt and rear apiece for my bike I think I was told.:)

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

GLester wrote:
Local bike shop close to my place includes installation and balance in the price. About $60 for Dunlop 404s frt and rear apiece for my bike I think I was told.:)

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:
Can't beat that with a "Stick" !!!:clapper:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If you take your wheels in, it might be a good idea to take the rotors off. I do just because I'm afraid some one might prop the wheel against a wall where it could be bumped and fall on a concrete floor, that could be enough to warp a rotor. Installing the rear tire isn't too hard, and hand balancing worked well for me, set the axle level on a couple blocks spun the wheel and marked the top of the wheel when it stopped. did that about four times and added stick on 1/4 oz. weights. One and a half weight turned out to balance the wheel so well it stopped at random places after that. The front wheel I took to a bike shop, cost $25 to have it mounted and balanced, the front was just too stiff, I was afraid I'd damage the rim or bead. I paid $240 for the pair of EIIIs.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

http://www.motorcycleproshop.com/

I bought a pair of Venom X's from these guys and paid $215 including shipping. I ordered on a Friday night and had them the following Tuesday using UPS ground. I thought that was excellent service. I also got lucky in that I have a local farm equipment store that also has an excellent experienced Wing mechanic on board. He put in new wheel bearings and a seal on the back(that I provided), mounted and balanced both wheels for $45. Took'em in Wednesday, had them back Friday.:clapper:Not bad huh. I haven't noticed any vibration what so ever so he must of done a good job.

I get to be lucky once and a while myself.:leprechaun:

Hobie

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

i just put a new eliteII on the back . with the tire installed on the bike it was$309 cdn

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

I just purchased a Dunlop 491 EII for the rear of my 84 Aspy and paid $127.00 for it and my local Honda dealer will charge me $65.00 for the install for a total of $192.00. I have also ordered a Dunlop 491 EII for the front. It was $95.00. I have not yet checked on the install charges for the front.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

I ordered from AMT for my 96, had them delivered to my brother in law in Texas who brought them up to me. The cost for two Dunlop Elite III's including shipping to Texas was $229.00. The local Honda dealer in Winnipeg wants $100 just for installing the rear tire. I ran away, so I didn't even get a price for the front. My wrench is going to do it for $35.00. If I get up the gumption to take off the tire myself, he'll do it for free.

To purchase the same rear tire in Winnipeg is about $250.00....disgusting!!!!!

Kyle

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Hey timber_tramp, looking at your avitar, looks like you might want to invest in another rear tire. :goofygrin: :cooler:

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

1984GL1200A wrote:
Hey timber_tramp, looking at your avitar, looks like you might want to invest in another rear tire. :goofygrin: :cooler:
it was fun finnishing off the old one in style:p

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
imported post

A local Honda dealer won't evenmount a tire if it wasn't purchased through them. They also won't install parts either if they weren't bought through them. :X

We have a local HD dealer. I think I will ask them if they will mount tires not purchased through them.

Also, are E III's better than E II's. I have E II's on my bike now?

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

From what I've read....the EliteIII's have solved the wet footing problem of the Elite II's but the jury is still out on mileage. I've just purchased Elite III's so I'll let you know in a year or two.

Kyle

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.