Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have just bought new tires for my 78’ Gl1000 (Bridgestone Spitfires). J I was going to bring the rims to the shop to have them installed. Anyway… I getting ready to take them off when I noticed the old rear tire, if I am reading it correctly, the size is 90 – 76 – 17 (MT90 B17 76 HR). I looked up rear tire size on the web and the size I ordered was 130 – 90 – 17. Will this new tire fit the bike, or did the PO just use a tire he could find laying around? Currently the bike slides a little in turns so I thinking new matching tires would rectify the issue. (right now I have two different brands) The old front tire is the correct is same size I ordered so I have no worries about that (100-90-19). Thanks Lou

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

enterocin wrote:
I have just bought new tires for my 78’ Gl1000 (Bridgestone Spitfires). J I was going to bring the rims to the shop to have them installed. Anyway… I getting ready to take them off when I noticed the old rear tire, if I am reading it correctly, the size is 90 – 76 – 17 (MT90 B17 76 HR). I looked up rear tire size on the web and the size I ordered was 130 – 90 – 17. Will this new tire fit the bike, or did the PO just use a tire he could find laying around? Currently the bike slides a little in turns so I thinking new matching tires would rectify the issue. (right now I have two different brands) The old front tire is the correct is same size I ordered so I have no worries about that (100-90-19). Thanks Lou
If it helps, on my 1200 the original front tire was 130/90-16, my replacement tire is MT90B-16, sounds like yours is correct.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

enterocin wrote:
Enterocin,, you have the correct tire.. The way motorcycle tires are sized has changed slightly over the years..

MT90 B17 ___________- Lets break it down.......

(M)= motorcycle

(T)= is the actual tire size,, T converts to 130

(90)= the tire aspect ratio (height to width ratio)

(B)= black wall

(17)= 17" rim

Twisty

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Second question.... Will there be any special tricks on removing the wheels from the bike? I have the honda manual and was going to follow that. I did hear it helps to deflate the rear tire. Thanks,

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

enterocin wrote:
Second question.... Will there be any special tricks on removing the wheels from the bike? I have the honda manual and was going to follow that. I did hear it helps to deflate the rear tire. Thanks,
Enterocin, nothing special, just follow the manual.. I don't deflate the rear tire unless it won't easily come out between the final drive & swing arm.. They roll out easier if not deflated but deflating will make it thinner if needed.

If the rear wheel bearings haven't been replaced in a while you might replace those & possibly grease the rear drive shaft spline (High moly grease)..

Twisty

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.