Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a question for you more experienced Gold Wing riders. I now have a set of Dunlop Elite 3s on my GL 1500, with about 10000 miles on them. Approximately how many miles can I expect before they will need replacing? I know the way you ride has a lot to do with wear; I am not a hot rodder and I am easy on the brakes.

We are planning to put about 6000 miles on the Gl this summer and I am just wondering when I can expect to install new tires.

Also in your opinion what brand of tires are longest wearing?

Thank You for any and all advise you can give me.

Your Friend,

John D.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,167 Posts
imported post

I tend to go by tire wear instead of being concerned about how many miles they have on them. That's because I ride daily (or did) and travel 32 miles each day. Not a big difference from day to day. Easy to monitor how they are doing.

For me, I use the tire wear markers. When it gets down to them, I think about ordering up a new set of tires.

Same thing I do with my cars and trucks.

Now IF, they were almost worn to the markers, and I was planning a 5,000 mile tour... Yeah, I would change them now.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

A lot of local riders who use the E3 obtain on the average of 15,000 to 20,000 miles from the tires. That seems to be the range for all the good name brand tires unless you are a very aggressive rider.

Like has been said, if I were planning a long trip and had 10,000 miles on them already, I would install a new set just for peace of mind.

Kit

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't be looking to see which tire has the longest wear. To get long life, I think you are giving up some on the performance side. Michelin Pilot GTs would be my choice for new tires on the 1500.

If it is one 6000 mile trip you are talking about, I'd be changing them before departure. If it is total mileage for the season, I'd order a set of Michies and wait 'til the time is right to change them.

Welcome to the forum John D. :waving:

·
Premium Member
62,977 Posts
imported post

Like you said, the way you ride, that's the key...
You may have to go thought a couple changes before you find the right combination for you..
I don't care for the E3s, noisy, cupped badly and less then 10k. Went to a Stone on the rear and a Avon Venom in front.. For me a good combination.. I now have Stones front and back.. Don't like the Stone in front, too noisy and wants to follow lines.. The Stone in the rear gives good traction but I'm not sure it'll get to 12k.. Next change well be the rear and I'm going to try a Pilot.. The way manufactures keep coming up with new stuff you have to try a few to get it the way you like....
Myself I like traction and feel over mileage.......

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
imported post

i put a new set of Michelin tires on my old 1100 last summer and now they have about 8000 miles on them. They look great and this is a surprise to me, i had thought that by now they would be looking thin. i hope i can get another 8000 miles on them , but that may be wishful thinking...

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
imported post

I put a set of Pilots on my 1500 last fall and love them. As far as mileage...we'll see. I am not hard on tires, so they should do well.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I have gone through 2 sets of the E-3's and got 14,000+ miles on both sets. I know they could have gone more, but they were getting to the wear bars.

I now have the GT Pilots because I wanted to see for myself. Well, I have a little over 2,000 miles on them and MAN,,,,,,,,,, do they handle well. I really like,,,,,,,, no,,,,,, Love them. I got caught in a good rain today and I didn't waste time beating it home. The tires really do grip.

I have nothing against the E-3's, and would use them again,,,,,,,, but as long as the GT's are around,,,,,,think I'll stick with them.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

I am the exception to the rule... I hated the Dunlop e3's.

Overall they did a good job on that tire, but I had a big problem with the rear tire locking up too easily when braking hard. (a locked rear tire is extremely dangerous on a motorcycle)

Dunlop uses a blend of rubber compounds so that the tire is softer and sticker on the edges, so when you are leaned over, you get all the traction you need for hard cornering, or agressive riding in the twisties. Then in the center of the tread the rubber is harder so that it lasts longer. The theory being that you don't need as much traction when you are straight up. So the tire lasts longer than most others.

I never once had any kind of problem when leaned over in a turn. I never felt any concern when I was riding agressively in the twisties. The tire performed well. And in addition, it lasted longer than any of my previous Elite 2's.

The problem I experienced was that in the year I had the tire on the rear of my 1200, I locked up the rear tire 6 times. In 4 previous Elite 2's and one Elite 2 afterward, I never locked up the rear tire.

Because of this, the Elite 3 is not exactly my first choice of tire.

A lot of people out there have never had any problem at all. For most people it is a wonderful tire. Truth be told, I do ride more agressively than most people,but anyone can get into a panic stop situation.

Keep in mind, this is only my experience, and most people haven't shared my experience. Also keep in mind, that I only had one set of E3's, and never went back to it.

But, in my opinion, it's really a shame because it's otherwise a really good tire, and Dunlop gave motorcyclists what we wanted, a longer lasting tire that still performs well.

In answer to your original question, I got about 15,000 miles out of my rear tire and a bit more than that out of my front.

I am currently running on my 2nd set of Metzler's and they do well, but I am getting less miles, about 11,000 on the first set. (I'm still running the second set.)

It's hard to say that they perform any better or worse, as they both always stuck to the road like glue, so who can say that one was better than the other.

They do get noisy, but so did the Dunlops. So I think they were equal on those points.

Next time I'm going to try the Shinko radials.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.