Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey Guys,

Have a 2003 with 6K on Dunlap Radials and front tire is already looking bad. Planning on taking a long trip and want to put on new rubber. What do you suggest as far as wear, stick and price. Thanks for info. Scope Down BH

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

Tire choice is really a personal thing and we can only really suggest what we each like...

...its Bridgestones for me!! ;)

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,583 Posts
imported post

I have to agree. Bridgestones, over the years, haveworked the best, overall,onall of my bikes.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
I have to agree. Bridgestones, over the years, haveworked the best, overall,onall of my bikes.
Dennis, do you use the spitfire or the G703 or something else that Stone makes.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,583 Posts
imported post

Hey oharaLTD,

Spitfire S11, however at my last tire change the 150/15 rear Spitfire became unavailable so Bike is now wearing "Pirelli M66 Route" tires. They seem pretty good. The handling took some getting used to but they stick very well. They are pretty new so I don't know how wear will affect them. The only negative I can report is at high speeds (above 90) they tend toweave a bit.Nothing scary, just noticable.

I contacted Brigestone and they reported the rear S11 will soon be available again as blackwall only.

About the 702/3 series. I used two sets back when they first came out.

First set: The rear tire split down the middle at less than 7k miles. Changed rear tire only thinking I'd cutit somehow. Second rear tire developed the same split with less than 7k miles.

Second Set: (Yes, I'm stupid...and I can prove it.) Same scenario. Bridgestone's answer was that there must be something wrong with the bike!

I've run 3 or 4 sets of Spitfires since, with no problems.

In all the years I've been riding,(45, I think)that's been the only issue with Bridgestone tires. Can't say that for Dunlop...

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

tanygaer wrote:
Bridgestones all the way 14 k out of my last set..
13.5 out of mine and that was about average on my 1500 as well on cross ply version. :clapper:

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
imported post

Why is it we believe the 'performance' issue with poor tire longevity? I have an old set of Dunlop Elite II with 15k miles that still have 50% of tread left. I just rode a set of Eltie III's to being BALD in 9k miles!! As far as the 'performance'....I never went down or even felt the slightest unstable on my E II's, but all M/C tire dealers kept on telling me how much better the E III's were. Hogwash!! I know riding the tires as far down as I did was insanely unsafe, but I was exceptionally cautious and kept put the bike on my lift every couple of days and checked the ties for nicks and the such. With the high price of M/C tires (vs car tires), I didn't have the money to buy a SECOND set in the same year.
I have checked many different opinions and have decided that when my old set of E II's are unsafe I am buy Bridgestones. If I have to pay $100+ dollars a tire (that has only a FRACTION of the material a car tire has) and $40 a tire to change them (wheel in hand - not on the bike), I am going with any tire that does NOT say Elite III on them.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

I HAVE HAD 2 FLATS ON DUNLOP BACK TIRES WITH A SLICE RUNNING RIGHT UP THE MIDDLE AND NOTHING IN TIRE. I AM CURRENTLY GIVING METZLERS A TRY. WILL NO RUN DUNLOPS. I GET 8 TO 9 K ON BACK TIRES AND 14 TO 15 K ON FRONT TIRES.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

Dennis, Thanks for the info. I have been looking to replace the front tire on my LTD. I did buy a Dunlop 404, but did not keep it on butfor less than 1k miles. The bike developed a awful headshake (wobble) so I put the old tire back on and the headshake went away. Me and some of the guys I work and ride with aregoing to make a trip to the dragon in a few weeks, so its time to go ahead and get a new front tire. Thanks again for the info. kevin

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,583 Posts
imported post

Hey All,

Let's not confuse performance with longevity. Some tires handle very well. That is to say they give the rider good feedback when leaned over hard, don't create any unstable conditions such as headshake or weaving and track in a straight line. They will also give the bike a light, neutral feel. Some tires ride softer (smoother) than others. And any decent tire should also stick well to the road during hard brakingor leaned over to a Wing's banking limits.

Longevity is just that and if a tire doesn't handle well, who cares how long it will last? If they do perform well and still deliver decent longevity...:cooldj:

With all that said, and taken into consideration, Bridgestone has long been my preferredbrand. Great handling and good mileage.

I keep books with every tank of gas, oil changes, batteries, repairs and of course every set of tires, logged. If you'd like to know how long a set of tires will last on a GL1200, I can tell you. And in 240 thousand miles I've gone through some tires. (Bridgestone, Dunlop & Metzler) I've also developed opinions about how certain brands of tires perform. But that's different.

·
Ole Guy
170 Posts
imported post

Bought a 78 GL1100 back in 1992. Was tight on bucks and planning a trip to Mexico. I bought some low end tires via JC Whitney front and rear. It snowed in Biloxi MS the morning I left. Made it out to I-10, hit the Tchoutacabouffa River Bridge on I-10 (1/4 mile long) going 70 mph in the right lane. The up side was in the morning sun, the down side was still in icy shade to the bottom with a 35mph cross wind. The ice went to the bottom where soil was under the pavement. It seemed like a very, very long way off and I wanted to cry. I though I was finished. I was slowly turning sideway and cocking the front wheel to hold her up. The wind was blowing to the left and me into the left lane. When I finally hit the solid pavement I was cocked sideways pretty good and was expecting to be pitched over the handlebars when it hit the pavement. I had slowed to about 50/55 mph sliding with zero control. The tires grabbed and nothing I did had anything to do with it staying up, but both side of the bike hit and dragged metal then it just completely went straight -- Holly Cow I am still up! Now I am headed into the center medium. A hard dip to the right, full throttle (it knocked in five gear) two quick downshifts, again full throttle to speed up so I would not get run over by following traffic. Brand new cheap tires on a freezing cold road and the Wing's geometry worked for me -- saved my skin, pride, and trip. Cheap tires worked dam well that day, but other cheap tires have let me down too. I sold the bike shortly after in Mexico, so I can't comment beyond that day. Get brand name tires and be smart.

Ole Guy

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Buy the tire that suits your riding. If you are a high mile driver then you want a harder compound than the S11 but they will cost you.

It's not a good idea to leave a tire too long on a motorcycle. Rubber starts going hard & you will loose traction in the wet. I would expect that 5 yrs would be long enough as long as tread was still good.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

So, Cycleman, the 16 year old tires on my 750 is a no no? I only ride around town with it and have only put 6.5K on it in that time.

I don't ride in the rain unless I just get caught. I was feeling lucky getting that long. Now I realize that I was extremely lucky NOT having tire related trouble.

It seems that I have not quit learning..... Thanks.

Terry

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,583 Posts
imported post

cycleman wrote:
Buy the tire that suits your riding. If you are a high mile driver then you want a harder compound than the S11 but they will cost you.

It's not a good idea to leave a tire too long on a motorcycle. Rubber starts going hard & you will loose traction in the wet. I would expect that 5 yrs would be long enough as long as tread was still good.
Actually cycleman, the S-11s give pretty good mileage. Average of about 15K on my GL12. Depending on how I ride.

Usually, the edges of the front tire is first to area to wear out and at that point I'll change the tires with plenty of tread left in the center on both tires. However, if I take a couple of long trips at higher speeds, they wear more normally with the rear tire going first.

No matter the wear patterns I change both tires at the same time and NEVER mix brands.

Anyway, I just wanted to make it clear that the S-11s, even though they are a dual-compound sport-touring tire, give pretty good service on a heavier bike. Of course, results may vary depending on one's riding and maintenance habits.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I guess some may disagree but personally I think tyres are a really good thing on a motorcycle!!!:littleangel::cooler:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,583 Posts
imported post

terry_208 wrote:
So, Cycleman, the 16 year old tires on my 750 is a no no? I only ride around town with it and have only put 6.5K on it in that time.

I don't ride in the rain unless I just get caught. I was feeling lucky getting that long. Now I realize that I was extremely lucky NOT having tire related trouble.

It seems that I have not quit learning..... Thanks.

Terry
16 yeas ain't nuttin. Hell, I have a bottle of scotch older than that!:D

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.