Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Lots of comments on Plugging tires for emergency travel or permanent repair.

Here are the facts:
07 GL1800.

Rear tire is a Stone 704 Radial.
Ride-On tire material added to slow puncture leaks.
Tire is punctured by screw, Ride-On material slowed leak.
Tire is re inflated by 12volt emergency compressor.
Ride two miles to truck repair facility.

Rear tire mileage at repair 10,000 + repaired by plugging with Safety Sealsystem. RedVulc.
(Concerned about Ride-On being presentaffecting adhesion).
The procedure involves cleaning outthe hole and inserting the repair material as directed leaving a small portion hanging out.

Filled the tire to 45psi as was normal. (No leaks)

Continued trip all through Michigan, Lower and Upper Peninsulascontinually monitoring air pressure. Filled both frt and rr tires on Sunday as normal. Rear looked OK.

Returned to Florida for a month and again returned to Michigan and back home to Florida. All through the rest of Fall and Winter and into Springthetire racked up another 9,700 or so miles.The wear marks of the rear had not been met yet so here we go for 20,000 miles. The plug was holding. OR WAS IT?

At 19,764 miles the Sunday maintenance air check showed 10 psi lower.
The SPIT TEST showed air leaking at the plug.

Pulled the tire:

The Ride-On material looked as one might expect, coating the tread area of the tire and still damp. NO RIM ISSUES WHAT SO EVER from the Ride-On.

Check this out; THE TIRE PLUG WAS ABOUT TO BLOW.
The tire plug did not adhere to the tire because of the wet Ride-On material.

THE TIRE PLUG WAS WEARING DOWN AT THE ROAD SERVICE. The almost TWO INCHES of material left inside the tire at the repair time had worn down to 1/8th of an inch as it kept slipping past the tire hole almost to the point of blowing out.
Note the plug was moving down through the hole not leaking air pressure.

All of the above being said, under no way take a plug repair out of the emergency status and put it into permanent status.

Riding on this repair was stupid on my part,and justfortunate I did not take someoneelsedown with me.

I still have the Safety Seal system on board and will use it with out the Ride-On being present.

Note about running the tire out to the wear marks of the Stone; the running surface on it isreally thin and will puncture very easily.

The replacement tire is a Kumho RunFlat; and that is a tire of a Darker Colour.

Running the Kumho with the Stone up front is a good match. Very happy withthis set up, however with only 115 milesthe jury is out. Other reports really look good.Learning curve issues maybe for some, but I did not or have not yet found any handling issues.

Just wanted to share adumb stupidtire plug trial. Hopefully this will save some aggravation down someones road.

Have a safe ride.

Longboater,

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

Very insightfull writing and a number of things that that I never would have thought of.

My intial thought is that either system (Ride-on or plug) is OK but they don't work together.

Thanks for the heads up.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I agree that the problem was with the Ride On and plug combination. I've had good luck with plugs and haven't had one leak. On a motorcycle I'd replace the tire that had a plug but wouldn't be afraid to use it to get home on even across the US. The interesting point to me is that the Ride On didn't do the job or you wouldn't have plugged the tire and the plug held for nearly half the life of the tire even with the Ride On preventing the plug from adhering to the tire casing. Seems to me that you've proved the value of the tire plug and the fact that Ride On doesn't always work as it should. It also suggests that Ride On will help with very small leaks but larger ones are better patched with a plug. It also suggests that if you have Ride On in a tire and it doesn't seal a leak the tire can't be repaired with a plug notwithstanding the good performance you got with the combination. To me it suggests that the best route is to carry a plug kit and not use Ride On.

·
Lock and Key Guru
1,030 Posts
imported post

A very timely posting, I have been wondering which option to favour for sometime. This information has made my mind up, its the plug system for me.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

Great report. I'll get a plug kit and throw it in the saddlebag. Hey, wait a minute, I run tubes N spokes. If I carry it maybe I can use it to help someone else. Still a great report. Thank-you.

Terry

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

exavid wrote:
I agree that the problem was with the Ride On and plug combination. I've had good luck with plugs and haven't had one leak. On a motorcycle I'd replace the tire that had a plug but wouldn't be afraid to use it to get home on even across the US. The interesting point to me is that the Ride On didn't do the job or you wouldn't have plugged the tire and the plug held for nearly half the life of the tire even with the Ride On preventing the plug from adhering to the tire casing. Seems to me that you've proved the value of the tire plug and the fact that Ride On doesn't always work as it should. It also suggests that Ride On will help with very small leaks but larger ones are better patched with a plug. It also suggests that if you have Ride On in a tire and it doesn't seal a leak the tire can't be repaired with a plug notwithstanding the good performance you got with the combination. To me it suggests that the best route is to carry a plug kit and not use Ride On.
In review, two points; 1, the Ride-On did not cover the tire bottom adequately. 2,The hole was really large like a 1/4 " lag bolt. The instructions from Ride-On were followed but perhaps the rear did not received its fair share. The filler material seemed to be too light.

Yes, the plug kit is part of the tool kit.

Longboater,

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I carry a mushroom plug kit, not the rope style. The plugs go into the tire and the head expands and seals against the inside of the tire.

I am of the opinion that a rope style plug will gradually work its way out of the tire no matter what. I have seen that happen several times, seal the tire no leak, time you hav e went 100 miles plug is gone.

So I like many shops, simply subscribe to a plug for emergency purposes only. As soon as possible it is a new tire.

Also if a hole is much more than 1/8 of an inch and is approaching 1/4 inches, it is hard to get any plug to seal, even wrapping three of them together will sometimes not seal the hole , but will slow it down enough you can get to town. I do not know if the mushroom plug will plug a larger hole, it says it will but so far I have not had any flats and since I got the thing, have not had to help anyone out either, so the jury is still out on that.

I have long been a supporter of Ride/On, but I have broken away from that. With the discovery of Dyna beads to keep a tire balanced and the fact the a puncture in a tire is actually a very rare thing, I have went with the beads and mushroom plug kit and carry an emergency 12 volt air pump.

I might say if you do go with a mushroom plug kit, take an old tire and practice a couple times, as it does take a time or two to get the hang of it.

Kit

·
Premium Member
61,458 Posts
imported post

I'd say to get 9700 miles on a plugged tire says a lot for the patch product.. Once the integrity of the tire has been compromised, it's not a whole tire anymore................

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

I was installing a trailer hitch on my bike. started to put it back together and saw a nail in tire. I puled the nail out, the Ride-on did nothing to slow the air escaping through the hole. The Ride-On was as thin as when I put it in the tire, will not use it anymore.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
imported post

Kit, what brand is your tire repair kit. I have been looking at a couple of them, and was trying to decide on which one.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

BACKON2 wrote:
Kit, what brand is your tire repair kit. I have been looking at a couple of them, and was trying to decide on which one.
It is called a Stop and Go Kit. I got it from Dennis Kirk. A bit expensive, is like $42 bucks but comes with 25 plugs . Has a spring loaded gun you use to shoot the plug into the tire.

Kit

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

***Disclaimer--I am not advocating the use of plugs in m/c tires***

That being said, "Safety Seal" with the self vulcanizing red plugs is absolutely the best tire plugging system ever. We used them for 27 years at our service station. I have seen several situations where the plug lasted the life of the tire on a CAR/TRUCK tire. The key to using a plug is that the hole be nail/screw sized and in the tread. They do not work with splits and do not work in the side wall. In the case of a large hole, you can double up the plugs, but not the best situation. Recently, I haven't been able to find the Safety Seal plugs and have found the next best kit is one called "Black Jack" tire repair. I have been using this kit for over 5 years with same results as the "Safety Seal" kit.

I would have no problem plugging a m/c tire as long as it was in the tread and a small hole, but I'd swap the tire out when possible.

Most of my 4 wheelers here have at least one plugged tire.;)

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
imported post

Very valuable info. Thank You. I know what to do (or not do now). Is the Kumho you have now a radial or bias. You probably know it is best not to mix the two.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

we used slime to seal a nail hole on a fellow's 1200 rear wheel, no leaks so far after 6 months.

after you fill the slime on the wheel and inflate it.. you must take a short ride, it needs the centrifugal force to work. if you just add it and fill. it wont work, its not like the fixaflat sprays.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,722 Posts
imported post

Slime in at least one case, nearly ruined a wheel with corrosion.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

The Kumho is Radial and seems to be a very good match with the 709 Stone, also a radial.

Longboater,

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
imported post

The mushroom type plugs are worthless, I tried them in the back tire on my 1500 and got 35 miles before it went out, put another in while in the emergency lane of the interstate to get me home. I put another in the friends car tire and she faired a bit better, she got 65 miles before it went out.
I carry rope plugs and have never had one come out, and have ridden tires to replacment with plugs in them.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

My brother had a set of "dog bone" plugs, came from his BMW bike dealer. They turned out pretty useless when we needed them, the things need a pretty large hole worked in the tire to insert. Instead after breaking two of them we tried my cheapo Wal Mart plugs and one did the job just fine. We were in the middle of no where in Southern Idaho and had to to 75 miles to the nearest town. At first he rode at 30 mph but long before we got to town he got more confidence in the plug and was back up to highway speed. The next morning the tire pressure was the same as we set it, no leaks. A couple hundred miles later he got a new tire but the pressure had held up fine and when the old tire came off the plug was very solidly in the tire, we couldn't pull it out either way.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

Yup..........red rope plugs in my side bag. Have had very good results. Don't leave home without them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.