Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I was looking at some of the older threads about adding something to seal a tire.

I use green slime in bicycles and 4 wheelers, but I added something similar to it to my boat tires. Every bolt and screw kept getting vibrated loose. I finally figured out I had a tire out of balance and took it to a local alignment shop, Mike did not have the proper balancer to balance a small boat trailer tire, but he had learned from his dad how to balance tire just using common sense. Add weight to the top until the tire stayed still on the axle. I expect Mike messed with it about and hour using the simple method of trial and error. He would mark the top side of the tire and ad some wheel weights to the rim. I noticed he had to just keep trying and trying, but the tire never had the same pattern of balance. Mike asked me if I had added anything to the tire and when he found out I had added the Green slime, he suggested I go get 2 new tires.

That solved the problem of the screws and bolts vibrating loose. So I have a little mistrust about adding anything to a tire.

Has anyone added something to their tires to seal a hole, and if so did you have any balance problems with the sealer and tire balance. If not what kind of sealer did you use?

I have a 12 volt compressor, and set of tire ironsI carry in my sadle bags, a package of tire plus, and a package of tire patches.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,334 Posts
imported post

Hi Barton,

I have an emergency tire plug kit that I take along when I'm going to be far away from civilization.Most of the timeI forget to pack it. But, it makes me feel a little better when it's there.

I have picked up the occasional air-releasing devise on the road, but it has never put me in a situation that required pulling the wheel off in the middle of nowhere. So I don't worry about it.

Any puncture that could be cured by goo probably wouldn't be so bad that you couldn't air-up the tire and drive to the nearest bike shop for a proper repair.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Lots of pros and cons regarding the tire sealant materials available, namely two I can think of. Slime and Ride-On.

The synopsis of a thread on this forum I did many months ago may discourage you to put anything into the tire other than air. This is mainly do to any exterior tire repair such as plugs. I had Ride-On in the rear and had a flat caused by a large metal screw. Installed the plug and rode on for another 9,000 miles or so. "The tire had too much tread life on it" and the plug lost very little air during the weekly checks. One week the tire was down almost 10 psi. Spit on the plug and it showed the leakage. Pulled the tire and the plug that should have been inside the tire was not there. It slowly worked itself out almost to the point of blow out because of no adhesion. Slime and Ride-On are always wet and slippery.

Now both tires are clean and dry always ready to receive a tire plug.

The rear tire is a Dark Side run flat, but that's another story.

Longboater

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:

Any puncture that could be cured by goo probably wouldn't be so bad that you couldn't air-up the tire and drive to the nearest bike shop for a proper repair.
I agree with Dennis on this one. I carry a plug kit also with me.

The PO of my wing had put green slime in both tires. I did a tire change and it took me over an hour per rim to clean them up before the new tires could be put on. If I had had a shop do it it would have cost at least an arm for the work. :shock:

That stuff really messes up the inside of the rim and is hard to get off. I will not be using any in my tires....:p

Just my .02 worth.

Ride Safe !!!

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,674 Posts
imported post

Barton, for those small tires like that, my personal opinion is that you just cannot do better than a product like DynaBeads.

That will keep those tires perfectly balanced all the time. As long as, no water gets inside the tires. Keep 'em aired up and they should do just fine.

Slime is bad news for keeping things balanced.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

I'm with Dennis on the plug kit, Jerry on no slime, John with the DynaBeads, and Longboater on the Darkside. I get along with everyone.....

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

nsjoe wrote:
I'm with Dennis on the plug kit, Jerry on no slime, John with the DynaBeads, and Longboater on the Darkside. I get along with everyone.....
And that says something on this site.

Longboater

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

Well, at least on this thread. So far....

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
imported post

Anything you put in the tire can cause balance problems for you as far as slime or any other kind of sealant. If you want a tire hopping on you at speed, go for it.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

BARTON, I got some "Air.Care" tire sealant and balance from my local Beemer shop before a trip to California last year I also packed plug repair kit and a small air pump. It doesn't take up much space on board and unlike some folk I pack it all the time. It's handy whether I go to Vancouver, Mission or locally, it is there when I need it MOST. I was about 30 miles outside San Fran and we stopped for a meal when I came out I checked the tires and I was down 7 psi in the rear from the morning check. We had been riding @ 80 to 100mph for about an hour. Put it on the main stand and found the culprit a wire nail. Pulled it out and cleaned up the hole, smeared some adhesive on the plug and the hole and pushed it in and rotated it a tad and pulled the tool out, snipped off the plug remaining outside. I put 8oz of the liquid inside for extra protection. I connected up the pump and put in 41psi. I don't like using the on board pump as it tends to lose more air as you disconnect it, I just use it for the rear shocks. I've had it in there for 8000 miles with no problems what so ever and will fit it again when I put the new tire on in the coming months.

I've seen that stuff in use now for at least 30 years, it was in use in Europe in many different colours so you could see it easily. It works and it is cheap insurance.

ps Welcome to the Forum

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

I use ultraseal and it saved me getting stranded at least twice. I also carry a plug kit and never had a plug come loose from using ultraseal, the plugs I use are the long stringy types so maybe that helps.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,674 Posts
imported post

I carried a plug kit on my bike for emergencies just like Wingle just talked of. Have been lucky in the regard, never needed it, but..............

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

I thank everyone for their input. I had never heard of the Dyna Beeds. But I did some research and I liked what I found out they are the real thing. I ordered enough to do both wheels and enough to have for the next time I have to buy new tires for my 2 cars and pickup.

If anyone is a money miser like myself, you can take the out of one tire and use them in another. My way of thinking is they are like rechargeable batteries. A onetime investment will save a lot over the next few years.

I also researched ultraseal. If it does what it claims, it is some really good stuff. All I could find to buy is by the barrel size. I have seen it in tires, but never knew what I was seeing. I have two 4 wheelers and tire balance is not really important on them.

About 50 years ago I worked in a tire shop. Back then all we had was rubber plugs. Some of the tires brought in to fix a flat had an occasional leaking plug. I would just put another plug along side of the first. I never did get a comeback on tires I plugged twice in the same hole.

I carry one of the small 12 volt air compressors, a box of plugs, a box of patches, glue, a spray bottle that is loaded with soap and water, a set of tire irons, and molly 6. Also I carry a 12 foot rope. The reason the rope is if for some reason a plug will not work and I have to patch the tire. Sometimes it is hard to get a tubeless tire to take air, I can put the rope on the tire and take 2 screwdrivers to tighten the rope and push the bead of the tire tighter on the rim so the tire will take air.

·
Trike Master
1,266 Posts
imported post

I use Ride On. It's the only sealant I know of that cleans up using water. It does not mess up the rims. It also keeps the wheel/tire balanced!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.