Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Have a 1986 GL1200 SEi purchased in the spring and wish to replace the rear tire soon. Although there are several brands that carry the OE size (150/90-15) my question pertains to a slight change on the same 15” rim. Would like to stay with this same rim. The current size narrows my choices, but if possible to have a wider tire etc, I expand my choices.

Is it possible to go with a width of 140 or 160?

What about the “Aspect Ratio” of 80 or 100?

Is it technically possible and if so, feedback from those whom have done so.

Thanks for your time and input.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
imported post

I agree with '86.... Stay with the recommended tire size...

But go with Michelin Commanders... I love mine.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
imported post

My 82 takes a 140/90/16 I was able to put a 160/80/16 on her with no problems.
but I have seen other people that have problems with 140's that rub.
It depends on what brand tire you run for clearance issues.
I have a tire machine so it's easy for me to try out different kinds of tires to see what will and will not fit.

Like the other posters have said stay with the stock tire size and brand for that bike.
there's not much room in there.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Put this tire on both the '86 and '87 with no problems:

http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=33_120_131&products_id=1491

Of course I bought mine in winter when they were 60% off at Southwest Moto. Loved the tires. The noise that some complain of when going around curves was the sound of angel's harps to me.
"Heaven... I'm in heaven,
And the cares that hung around me through the week,
Seem to vanish like a gambler's lucky streak,
When we're out together dancing
and my Dunlops start to squeak.

Heaven... I'm in heaven,
And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak.
And I seem to find the happiness I seek,
When we're out together dancing and my Dunlops start to squeak."

:action::action::action::action::action::action::action::action::action::action::action::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Thanks for the input ... I am currently shopping and realize not all mfg's carry an exact replacement in each of there brands. Had Dunlops on my previous Virago 1100 with excellent results, but considering Michelin, Bridgestone and Avon for the GW.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

Hi i had Continentals on our 76 wing and they were great tyres, so when we needed new hoops for our 87 wing we went for the new Continental milestones.

Wow what a mistake, thay are the worst tyres i have had on all my motorcycles, and we have had a few.

Check out where they are made, the new Continentals are made in Thailand, not in Germany like i thought.:waving:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.