Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a Shinko tire on the rear of our 1200 this spring looking to see if what they say about them being good traction, wet or dry, was indeed the case. Well folks....it is true. All summer our riding was mostly dry and over-all pleasant, but yesterday I got to check this tire in the rain! Went to Spokane to watch the grandson play football and before I got out of town it started. It was the hardest rain I've ridden in since owning the bike, and that includes the trip to Alaska!!

I had to stop and feed at our favorite Mongolian Grill, so I did not get out of town until after dark.

My tires handled flawlessly, the Metzler on the front and Shinko on the rear. For the first 20 miles most of the car traffic was running along with me at 45 or so....it was coming down. Another 35 miles later the rain all but stopped and the deer came out. It was a dark, rainy ride.....SWEEEET!!! What a machine!!!:12black:

·
I think I was wrong once!
382 Posts
I put a Shinko tire on the rear of our 1200 this spring looking......:12black:
intresting... what modle Shinko tire are you running?

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
How many miles you put on it so far and how is the tread holding up?

I'll be needing tires for 1100's in spring maybe sooner and thinking on Shinko's also but heard a few times they don't get so many miles.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
Was it pretty much straight riding or curves?

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
justwingnit - my tire is the 230 Tour Master, 150/90-15 (80V)

Chromo - I only have about 5000 on the tire and it is starting to table top. I had heard this would be likely due to the softer make-up of the tire. I'll still be on it next year, I'll see how far it takes us. This is the milage point where my previous Metzler started to crack.

IdahoRaider - This was highway 395, 60 mph two-lane. Mostly windy with a couple of straight runs in there, but not twisties. The only time I did any quick maneuvers was in deer evasion. At that point the rain had mostly stopped coming down but there was a lot of water on the road still. I was running 58-60 at that point, but in the heavy rain I was happy with 45-50.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
I have a Conti Tour on the rear of my 1100. It's tabled out and the tread is getting down to the wear bars. 4-4.5k miles on it using DynaBeads. While I haev been very happy with the performance of the tire on all types of dry road surfaces and even on wet roads. Now that it's fairly worn not so much.

I've decided that I'm going to try a Shinko 230 Tour Master. Mostly because the old lady lost her job and we're broke. Will prolly be ordering the Shinko in a month or so.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I'd rather have a tire that doesn't last as long than one that's not so good in the wet.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Great to hear of another satisfied customer on the 230s. Can't wait to be riding on them on my August trip. I too want a tire that handles well in the wet as well as the dry and will put up with lower mileage for the performance. With the price being so affordable you can afford to change them more often.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
It's my understanding that when Yokohama decided to stop making bike tres the yoko bike tire management team went to work at Shinko, who bought yokohamas molds and gear.

I have always liked yoko tires and I really like shinkos pricing.

You're basically getting a high end tire at a kenda price.

My Valkyrie has a Shinko up front and an exedra in the rear...I would buy another Shinko for less than the exedra anytime, myself.

The only time I have ever had uneven tire wear is when I stop checking my tire pressure regularly...for me it has nothing to do with tire brand.

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
Hello Heino Fette and Welcome to the forums . use the search button on this forum or web search "Double Darkside " . This referes to a car tire on the rear and using a rear bike tire on the front . That rear on front is what may help you get longer milage .
I am not a trike rider yet but think there are aftermarket frons suspensions which have wider wheel/tires , posibly a car tire for better handling and life .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.