Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
going to install a set of new tires on my 1800 what tires should i be looking at for higher mileage? and should i use dyna beads/ THANKS FOR THE INPUT

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
E-3 on the front and Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP on the rear. Put dyna beads in both front and rear and inflate with nitrogen to rated tire PIS. Inatalled this combo on my ride in the spring and have had 0 tire problems since.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Have a Dunlop E3 on front and a Metzeler 880 rear on my 1800... they work good... next tires are going to be Dunlop E3s front and rear becuse of what I've read on this forum ..Dynabeads ...yes

·
Very active member
305 Posts
You're gonna get mixed review on beads. I know from previous threads that there are many different opinions. Some people think they are worthless and the sheer physics of them are not even plausible. Good luck. I disagree on the needs but your preference. I have heard a lot of good things about the metzlers

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
My new to me GL1500A came with new E3's really like the tire for all around riding...as for the dynabeads I run them in my VTX with zero problems, just havent gotten around to the GL yet...good luck on your choice....

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
E-3 on the front and Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP on the rear. Put dyna beads in both front and rear and inflate with nitrogen to rated tire PIS. Inatalled this combo on my ride in the spring and have had 0 tire problems since.
Ya, but I bought a 95 with 7 year old tires, weights on wheels, and normal compressor air, 10K miles this year and no problems either LOL

I used Dyna beads for 10k on the 88 and no problems either and just put those tire on the 95 awhile back with same beads and no problems, using compressor air still.

Nitrogen is a bunch of hype only when it comes to normal road use tires.
At Indy 500 with near 200mph speeds for hours at a time it may help the race cars, normal road use it's nothing but hype!

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I ran Dynabeads for a few years with no noticeable side effects until last year. On my ZZR600 I picked up a bad vibration at 75 MPH. I never got the chance to remove the beads and static balance as I wrecked the bike on that trip. Then, the next bike I bought was a VFR with Dynabeads from previous owner. When I changed tires I noticed the dynabeads chewed up the inside of the tires pretty good.

These two incidents are far from scientific and I had several other acceptable results so I dont know what to say other than I now stick to static balancing as I do my own at home and enjoy the challenge of getting the tire perfect. Does one work better than another? Who knows?

Craig

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Being budget minded, I just installed a new Kenda on the front...very pleased with it. By reputation, it should give good service.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
Nitrogen is a bunch of hype only when it comes to normal road use tires.
At Indy 500 with near 200mph speeds for hours at a time it may help the race cars, normal road use it's nothing but hype!
Exavid told me he runs 78% nitrogen in his tires, so that's what I'm doing too. I have my compressor setup that way. :D
John

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Exavid told me he runs 78% nitrogen in his tires, so that's what I'm doing too. I have my compressor setup that way. :D
John

Now that's funny! Wonder how many people will get it?

Agree though - Nitrogen is great for extreme conditions, but an unnecessary cost in a street rig. As soon as you need to adjust pressure for any reason you lose the benefit by adding 'mixed' air. Nothing beats doing good PM/inspections frequently.

·
1,566 Posts
I still have the Dunlop E3 tires that came with the bike when I bought it. They are getting to the point where I'm going to change them soon.
Not sure about beads or weights. I'll decide when I do the tires.
I'm running 100% air in mine. There may be just a tad of moisture too. Throw in a bit of compressor oil also.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
My corner gas station charges 50 cents to self fill your tires with 78% Nitrogen!!

BigWorm has a vary good tire combination, however I run the Bridgestone G709 on the front. Beeds also. No more cupping and no internal tire wear.

Corventure Dave

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Just put a new E3 on front of my bike yesterday, works and sounds great without that bubble!

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
Now that's funny! Wonder how many people will get it?
I imagine quite a few here would get it. We've got a lot of smart people on this forum. :cheesygrin:

John

·
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i work in a car dealership as a subaru tech and we use nitrogen which is 96% pure,anything under 80% is just pure air as air already has 72-79% nitrogen in it, but using nitrogen takes awhile for the tires to warm up. not a good thing for a bike on cold days.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.