Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I am not in this room very often, sorry to bother you allbut my question is. I am in need of a new front tire for sure, but my rear has almost 1/2 a cm left on the tread.Should I replace only the front tire? Should I repalce both. I am forecasting a cool summer with cool blacktop temperatures and being frugal,I am tempted to just change the front. Checking my last sales receipt, thelast tire change was in 2005... holy crap does time fly. K177 $172 front & K177 $195 rear and a $424 total back then.Any thoughts out there.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

I belive that 8 millimeters is the minimum recommended depth. Although tires are very important on a bike, I will run my rear tread down quite far. What you need to think about is getting caught in a good rain storm & not having enough water displacement to prevent hydroplaning. Your highway speed should be lower on average than if you had lots of tread.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

I don't have my GL 1500 Manual here. The Manual for the GL 1200 and GL 1100 gives service limits for front tire: 1.5 mm, rear tire: 2.0 mm.
1/2 cm is 5.0 mm. Inspect the tire tread depth all the way around the tire and look for surface cracks. Youmight be good for a bit more but think of the age on the tire, and, I'm thinking, you are due new valve stems too.
I know tires are expensive but ifI havedoubt about a tire, I replace it.
I bet you will enjoy the handling and feeling of security better with two new tires and valve stems.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Yes, tires are expensive but hospital stays cost much more.

If the tire and stem inspect well as described above, I'd probably leave it for a while.
If when I bent the stem over a little and checked that or had cracks or splits in the bottoms of the tread cavities, it would be out of here.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.