Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace tire valve that is leaking around the mount area. Are there adequate automotive replacements I can use?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will contact local bike shops to see if they have the metal ones in stock. Is the problem of leaking tire valve mounting area common, or is there a simple solution such as pushing rubber cement into the mounting area to seal the leak?

·
Registered
12 Posts
valve stem failure at 75mph on I5

Ed. my experience is a factory 90 degree valve stem failed at the exit hole of the rim. I was extremely lucky to get her over to the shoulder without putting her down and hurting my old body. The failure was caused by ME>>>... I do everything myself...like changing rear tire and not paying attention to the fact I broke the plastic bracket that held the 90 degree rubber valve stem in place as you go flying down the hiway. It was a good 3K miles since the tire change and valve stem failure. I replaced with straight up short valve stem because I no longer wish to have a 90 degree stem of any type.
I would go with the recommendations of replacing entire valve stem....no short cuts.

·
Registered
401 Posts

·
Administrator
22,201 Posts
I like these better than the metal. They are aluminum. I put them on my old 04 ST 1300 in 05, and they are still on there and going strong. I also have them on my 1500 for the past 9 years. Those are still going strong.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/tires-and-wheels/k-&-l-90-degree-valve-stem-p

You can find them on E Bay also.

Just another option.
I like the low profile of those. However, what kind of o-ring is in there? If it's like the silver one, you could probably change it with each tire change. The others you would need to change the whole stem.

Keeping the same stem for many years sounds like a bad idea. The rubber ages and dat's a fact, Jack!

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
the problem with the OEM valve stems on a motorcycle is most shops never ask about changing them, they just put new tires on and away you go. And with the rubber base of the OEM stems they will wear out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have now just placed online order for two new Tire Valve Stems. I will change out the old ones when new ones arrive. Thanks for the input on my situation folks!

·
Registered
71 Posts
yeah, the rubber 90* valve stems are a joke.

that is why I went to the metal 90* valve stems.
makes it easy to check the air pressure, and they never leak.

actually the EPDM rubber material is required per DOT to last a minimum of 60k miles. problem is EPDM doesn't like Petroleum Distillates which are not compatible.

Many waxes and cleaners have Petroleum Distillates.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts