Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone, PLEASE, help me with valve stem on my rear tire? Yes! I'm dense...sorry...lots of other questions, but for now...
Valve stem broke. A piece fell down in. What do I do, how do I replace, and what type of stem do I get? Can't find anywhere/one that knows or work on this year of bike and I'm getting irritated...not sure if its because I'm a girl or they're just dicks about it.
Anyone know?
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
As far as getting it out,you can remove it when you break the tire off the bead.I would install a bolt in stem made for a car

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
26,155 Posts
It takes the same size stem as anything else except old Fords. Best to get a metal bolt in one like dusterdude said.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
Thank you! But! I hate to sound like the dumb female...can you explain further?? Sorry. I should take a repair class or pluck my head out...geez, duh on my part. Any info would help.
Sorry for being slow.

·
Administrator
26,155 Posts
Trying. The tire has to be at least broken loose from one side of the rim so you can get to the hole the stem goes in. Then you install a new stem, either a rubber one which don't last long as you found out or a metal one like these,.

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
You will need to remove the rear wheel . It's been a while since I have worked on an 83. As I recall you need to remove the saddle bags if your bike has them . Bike on centerstand , loosen the axle nut on the right side, loosen the the axle pinch bolt on the left side (after loosen the nut).

Note(photo?) how the axle spacers are located as you remove the axle out to the left side. You can put a Phillips screw driver thru the hole in the left end of the axle to twist and pull.

Axle out, now remove the spacers , move the caliper and bracket out of the way. Now the wheel should slide to the left and disengage the drive flange from the final drive gear case. You might have to remove the rear half of the fender to roll the wheel out .

The OEM(original) Honda valve stem has a rubber seal with a 90* bend and should have a plastic keeper to prevent the 90* stem from flexing out by centrifical force. Anyhow The metal stem referred to previously is a metal stem with rubber seals to fit the rim and a nut to tighten it in place.

Straight metal ones are easy to find at auto parts stores and most would work on an 83 wheel . The curved ones might need to be sourced on the internet or a bike shop.

Most dealers will not work on a bike this old but should have issue to do tire work if you bring the wheel to them .
Independent bike shops may do the complete job for you .

List your location ,perhaps someone is close by and could lend a hand .
As I said its been a while since I worked on an 83, I may have missed a point or two. I'll try and look at my 83 and see if i need any additions or corrections.

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
On my 1200, I did once replace stems using a pair of large C-clamps and strips of wood to pop the bead loose on one side and use a cable stem puller to pull a new one in. The part that "fell" into the tire, if you mean rubber base of old stem, leave it alone, it is too light to throw off any balance. Yeah, it's a chore on the 1200 rear. I agree with others … and I finally did put short metal stems in both wheels.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,576 Posts
I'm guessing you haven't the tools or know-how to tackle the problem yourself. Can you get the wheel off?

What part of the country are you in? May be someone close who would be willing to lend a hand.

There is usually a small shop in any decent size town that will take on this kind of repair in hopes of selling you tires and tune-up in the future.

·
Administrator
26,155 Posts
Someone recently posted a tire bead braker that would work on the bike, I can't find it, like usual.

Reactions: CrystalPistol

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
Someone recently posted a tire bead braker that would work on the bike, I can't find it, like usual.
Midwest Cycle I think it was … used to show one in their paper catalog. I forgot all about it.

Then, these look interesting:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,657 Posts
She lives near
Sacramento, California

I did a search for shops, and there are at least 10 in the area... surely some of them are independents.

·
Alaskan Explorer on a Valk
581 Posts
After you get the tire off you should be able to take it to an independent car shop who does tires. Does not have to be a motorcycle shop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts