Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

There is a serious part of our motorcycles that is more overlooked than anything else.

Last Saturday morning I did a precheck of my motorcycle and took off on my rounds[bank, haircut,girl watching] . Thinking I had it all made. [email protected]@@@You ain't got it yet!

I got 1 mile from the house and had a blow out. Not the tire but the valve stem. Even as I was putting air in I could hear it coming out but paid not 1 second of attention to the valve stem. Got enough air in to make it home, None of my rounds done. Ordered tires and new valve stems [ not the universal fit all]but the good one that are full metal with nuts that lock it in place.

When I pulled the old tire off I did not find anything wrong with it but I did find that the rubber valve stemhad cracked letting the air out.

Got one used 18 inch tirethat that has a few more miles on it[right tread scallop that is starting] that I am going to hang up as a momento to remind me to check it all.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Those valve stems can give up. On our ride to Calhoun, GA last fall NaturalyGW had a rear tire go flat due to a cracked stem.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

New tire, new valve stem.:cool:

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

A friend of mine had a " valve stem blowout "on the front wheel of his 87 Aspencade while cruising at 100 kil ( 60 MPH) two years ago. Lost control , slid down the highway, caught on fire , hit a motor home coming in the opposite direction. Totally destroyed the bike. He survived with seven broken ribs. a cracked sturnum and massive road rash. He had just installed a new front tire but had used the old valve stem which was most likely the one that came when the bike was new. So yes, make sure that you demand a new valve stem when replacing tires and have a good look at your existing ones.............GM

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

I really do need those angled valve stems. Every gas station has the straight push air chucks and its only time before bending my valve the way I do is gonna cause a failure. I keep a set or rubber valves in mty tire emergency road kit. I would hate to tow the bike home due to something so simple.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I like the metal patch boy stems. Solid and secure and great for checking air pressure, and they totally eliminate that mickey mouse plastic clip on the wheels.

Even so they do have rubber seals that seal the tire stem to the wheel, so it is simply tire care 101 to install a new stem at each new tire change. Also with the metal stems always put a drop of thread seal on the second nut, so it cannot vibrate off the stem and fall into the wheel well.

Kit

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

very importent to make sure the plastic restrictor is in place as this stops the valve stem from beeing wrenched out at high speed unfortunly one of ouy guys over here was killed because of this

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,169 Posts
imported post

I know that no one has mentioned in this thread yet :cheeky1:,

but, New tire, new valve stem.:cool:

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

oharaLTD wrote:
New tire, new valve stem.:cool:
And how!!

I had a new rear tire installed on my 1500 and IT kept going down, but only when I drove it. After rolling the bike and spraying the tire and rim with soapy water, only when I bumped the valve stem did the leak show!
I called the Honda shop and the head guy over the service dept got kind of upset due to the fact that the mechanic(?) who installed the tire failed to install a new valve stem. Of course I had to pull the rear wheel and take it to them but they replaced it while I waited.

So...replace those valve stems.

I'll make dang sure they install a new one when I replace the front tire!!

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:

Actaully Ohara did but how do you know the age of the "New" stem? Are they date stamped?

Muaymandez, can you put one in without removing the tire? I've never seen a M/C stem go in. On cars you pull them through with the tire off.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

nobbie wrote:
AZgl1500 wrote:

Actaully Ohara did but how do you know the age of the "New" stem? Are they date stamped?

Muaymandez, can you put one in without removing the tire? I've never seen a M/C stem go in. On cars you pull them through with the tire off.
The service station that I worked at went through so many that every month or so they got new supply. On the metal valve stems, I don't like to use them because in working some with tires (tractor trailor, ag equip, cars, trucks, bikes etc) the nut on metal valve stems will loosen and then you have a leak. It is very rare for a new rubber stem to be bad or fail before tireneeds replacing. JMHO

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

There is a learning curve with the use of the metal stems. Yep I had one or two leak , but it was because I had over torqued them. So I simply learned how to properly install the stems and to use a good thread lock on the nuts.

Properly torqued to manufactures specs and not over tightened, and with the use of thread lock, I have never had a problem with a metal stem. Solid secure, and no worry, and easy to check air pressure and all that kind of thing.

Anything can be defective if improperly installed.

Kit

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Usually the failure of the stems on the 1500 comes from pushing the stem back when adding air. That's what the black plastic brace is for, to make sure that the stem doesn't get pushed too far back.

I am using the metal stems now, and I feel much more secure. They don't budge, they are solid as a rock.

Unfortunately, I haven't got the torque feel down yet.I've only done two wheels so far, and with both wheels that I set them up on, I had to go back in and readjust them. But once I got them they haven't leaked one bit. It is good in my case that I have a spare front and a spare rear wheel, so I can set them up ahead of time and make sure they don't leak.

Kit, How do you torque them so that you know you have them right?

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

The angled valve stem came from rocky tucker via americanmototire

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

nobbie wrote:
AZgl1500 wrote:

I bought a large C clamp. My 1100s valve stems were rotted.I had a feeling the stems were leaking so I put pressure on them and POP they flew off. I placed the clamp with 2 pieces of wood clampped the tire a bit. This broke the seal and allowed me to get the new valve in from behind. I didnt have any water based lube So I grabbed a tube of that intimate gel ( hey it is rubber safe) Got it in and with a pair of diag clippers and a piece of wood for leverage The new valve poped in place.

Getting the rear of the old valve was a bit tougher. I suggest not braking them off until you can support the rear so as not to have it fall in your tire.

It may sound easier than what it was. It was a bit tough, But i didnt have to get towed or damage my tires. Valves are sold at walmart and other car care places But I got mine from a local tire shop. They saw me comming and charged me $5 for one. And while they guy was getting my change . I grabbed a few more.(im not a thief but I hate getting screwed) and $5 is robbery for a valve stem.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Wolfman wrote:
Usually the failure of the stems on the 1500 comes from pushing the stem back when adding air. That's what the black plastic brace is for, to make sure that the stem doesn't get pushed too far back.

I am using the metal stems now, and I feel much more secure. They don't budge, they are solid as a rock.

Unfortunately, I haven't got the torque feel down yet.I've only done two wheels so far, and with both wheels that I set them up on, I had to go back in and readjust them. But once I got them they haven't leaked one bit. It is good in my case that I have a spare front and a spare rear wheel, so I can set them up ahead of time and make sure they don't leak.

Kit, How do you torque them so that you know you have them right?
Well I will mess up a time or two then I get determined not to have it happen again.

For the metal angle stems I use plumbers faucet grease on the rubber O,ring seals, if you can call them that, more of a top hat type seal. I lightly grease the rubber parts being careful not to get any grease on the shank and then, very, very light coat, just a smigeon. What you are doing is making a means for the rubber seal to slip and seal, not pull and tear. Recommended torque varies, but the last ones I had said 7 ft. pounds. I do not go quite that heavy, I use a simple nut driver and run the first nut up to the point the top rubber seal , is expanded out from under the stem flange about 3/32 or so. Just past the point you can turn the stem easily by hand, when tight, you want it so with effort you can turn the stem, but not loose and not so tight you cannot turn it. Just snug and secure, just to the point you can turn the angle stem by hand if you work at it. (boy this is hard to explain, you can still turn the stem but it is a bit difficult) Never fear in a week it will set to the point you cannot turn it. Then I put a couple good drops of thread lock on the shaft threads and run the second nut on and using an couple thin ignition wrenches lock the bottom nut against the top nut.

Up to over a couple dozen now no leaks.

Kit

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

Hi guys, dig this scenario. I took both my rims and new tires, after I bought my 1500 last spring, to a local Honda dealership to have them mounted. I asked to have new stems put in the rims. The techs questioned me why I wanted new valve stems and I told them they go bad now and then and especially on a bike that is 10 years old and still had the original tires on it. They still didnt think I needed new ones. That blew me away that they seemed like they never ever replace em I guess. I was paying, just do it I said, they even hunted me down to ask me again. I always have em changed with new tires. Really cheap insurance. Ride On

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

muaymendez1 wrote:
I bought a large C clamp. My 1100s valve stems were rotted.I had a feeling the stems were leaking so I put pressure on them and POP they flew off. I placed the clamp with 2 pieces of wood clampped the tire a bit. This broke the seal and allowed me to get the new valve in from behind. I didnt have any water based lube So I grabbed a tube of that intimate gel ( hey it is rubber safe) Got it in and with a pair of diag clippers and a piece of wood for leverage The new valve poped in place.
They saw me comming and charged me $5 for one. And while they guy was getting my change . I grabbed a few more.(im not a thief but I hate getting screwed) and $5 is robbery for a valve stem.
OK. Two reasons for the gel in your tool kit but how do you explain it to the wife? :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

It was a quick fix. I actually called her as I was doing the repair and let her know what I bought. And assured her that no funny buisness was going on.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.