Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

How should tire wear relate front to rear? I have my 1981 GL1100 in the garage and I am getting ready to replace tires. The rear is worn out. These tires were put on 100 miles apart. The rear has 10,854 miles. It is worn slick. The front has 10,754 and is still in good shape. I got out my dial calipers and the front is only worn about 1/3 of the way. Seems to be wearing the rear way faster. Now before anyone says anything about spinning the rear tire. I gave that up years ago. Over 95% of the riding on this bike is solo. I ride it back and forth to work. I do have my lunch bag and extra clothes with me. It looks like I can easy get the front to last until it is time to change rear again. I have a friend at work that drives a full dressed Kawasaki and his wears tires about the same. I run a Dunlop 404 on this bike. Does this wear ratio seem right?

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

The rear tire will always wear faster than the front. I don't know the ratio, but more of the bikes weight is carried by the rear tire. Also the forces of acceleration and decelleration are worse on the rear.

If you carry a passenger most all of that weight is right over the rear tire.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
imported post

2 rear to 1 front is about what mine does although there's usually a bit more tread on the front after that - I just don't push it too thin. In fact, almost all of the bikes I've owned/ridden delivered roughly the same 2R/1F ratio. 8-10k on the rear, 20k or maybe a bit more outta the front. I use cheapo JC Whitney stuff - at the rate I go through 'em, just can't justify the high priced stuff.

Really depends on a lot of factors (load, throttle, speed, brakes, corners) but your tire wear sounds fairly normal to me.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

yep pretty much 2 to 1. 10,000 aint too bad for a 404 on the rear.I never got more than 7000 on the rear on my other bike with the 404s. I guess you know what I went too. The ones you have on your other bike.JB

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.