Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Okay I have another stupid question. On my original tires that came with my GL-1800 I had a grove down the center of the front tire which when it was down to < 1/32 of an inch or gone all together I had completely worn my tire out.

I now have two new Dunlop Elite III both front and rear and there are no wear bars or indicators at all. Am I to assume I am to run this Elite III down to a point where they change colors before I have to put a new set on? How will I know when I have worn them out?

I also want to verify something I have read out here. Since I have two new tires and centramatics both on the front and rear of these rims I am to remove the old weights that were put on to balance the original tire and DO NOT have the tires balanced at all just make sure they mark on the tire is put directly across from the valve stem and inflate them to the 38- 41 pounds of air and then break them in for 100 miles to scuff them up a bit.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

The Elite III's do have wear indicators, just follow the small arrows on the side walls to tiny lumps in the grooves. Not that I'd ever wear them down that much.:shock:

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Might want to change before it looks like this ...

:ROFL:

I felt like I was gripping the tire with my butt the last 700 miles home.

The wear bars on the E III are small bumps inside either every other or every third tread. If you're getting close, change them out. I had tread above the wear bars on this before starting a trip over Labor day and 40 miles of new chip seal pretty much took it off.

Can't help you on the Centramatic's ... look at Dynabeads as well.

Pat

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

go until you see shiny things poking through the rubber

thats a good tire yet, almost a racing slick

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

I can still pull it out of the dumpster for you Peterbilt !! :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Pat

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

On the side walls there are arrows pointing to the tire tread. When the tire wears down so as to have approximately 3/32nds of tread left, you'll notice the wear bar going from sidewall to sidewall, that looks to be even with the tire tread where the arrow is pointing.That's the point where the mfgr says it's time to change the tire. You may want to change it before it gets to that point, as they'll tend to get slippery on wet pavement a little before the bar starts showing.,,,

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

nvrpc wrote:
Am I to assume I am to run this Elite III down to a point where they change colors before I have to put a new set on?  How will I know when I have worn them out?
That's what I'm doing....I'm waiting until they turn black...;);););););););););););););););););););););););););)

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Here's what to look for if you are running a car tire...
Those wide spots used to be the wear bars.

Attachments

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

This is the car tire that Rudy posted about, with 12,000 miles on it

This is the same tire with 22,000 miles on it

it's better to catch them at that state of wear, rather than squeeze out more life, as inthis MC tire, with 30,556 miles on it :D...

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Dusty's last pic is them shiny things peterbuilt was talking about.:NO:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.