Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy guys,

I'm in the process of resurrecting my 77. I'm working on the clutch currently but know that the moment thats done, I'm gonna want to ride it. So I'm looking at the bike and it has the Star Mag rear wheel and Comstar front wheel.... it looks odd. I believe its supposed to have wire for both. I'm considering buying wire wheels for both. As of now I'm trying to figure out the tire situation since apparently very few people make a rear tire for this bike. I'm looking at the Bridgestone BT-45 and cannot seem to find the original tire size listed. From what I've read it takes a 120/90/17, and I've only found 110/90/17 or 130/80/17. So my question is, which should I do? And is it ok to run these tubeless tires with a tube on the wire wheel? This is my first bike and I'm not sure how the tire sizes will effect riding. This will be a bike to work and back with ocassional longish drives for fun.

Thanks!

·
Registered
247 Posts
First two years were wires then the KZ went to comstars, also had 3 small gauges on tank at an angle instead on just fuel.
Rear tyre was originally 4.50x17 made by Bridgestone

·
Administrator
25,337 Posts
Pretty sure the 77 GL had spoke wheels. I would go with the 130 for a little more meat on the road & tubeless tires will work just fine with a tube.

·
Registered
699 Posts
My '77 had spokes. A side note, Have you replaced the 43 yr old timing belts yet?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, come to find out, the front rims are star mag just like the back. it just looks odd b/c the rear rim has the giant hub on it. I'll be keeping the star mag vs going to spokes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

These are some pictures when I first got it. I want to confirm, are these Star Mags or the Abe Star wheels? Do these make the bike worth any more? This bike has been sitting since 86, so it hasn't been messed with in a long time.

·
Administrator
25,337 Posts
I think the bike would be worth more with the original wheels and those wheels worth more separately. Don't know what they are except they didn't come on it. The bike has a lot of add on stuff that detracts from it's value as an original but still might make a good bike.

·
Premium Member
12,728 Posts
I do not recognize those wheels. They appear to be cast aluminum. If so , you should be able run tubeless. Lester wheels were a somewhat common replacement wheel. They were a cast aluminum looking similar to the 83 wing wheels.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
I do not recognize those wheels. They appear to be cast aluminum. If so , you should be able run tubeless. Lester wheels were a somewhat common replacement wheel. They were a cast aluminum looking similar to the 83 wing wheels.
Howdy guys,

I'm in the process of resurrecting my 77. I'm working on the clutch currently but know that the moment thats done, I'm gonna want to ride it. So I'm looking at the bike and it has the Star Mag rear wheel and Comstar front wheel.... it looks odd. I believe its supposed to have wire for both. I'm considering buying wire wheels for both. As of now I'm trying to figure out the tire situation since apparently very few people make a rear tire for this bike. I'm looking at the Bridgestone BT-45 and cannot seem to find the original tire size listed. From what I've read it takes a 120/90/17, and I've only found 110/90/17 or 130/80/17. So my question is, which should I do? And is it ok to run these tubeless tires with a tube on the wire wheel? This is my first bike and I'm not sure how the tire sizes will effect riding. This will be a bike to work and back with ocassional longish drives for fun.

Thanks!
You need to check the rear tire and make sure if it is a 16" or 17". Some of not most of the aftermarket rear wheels were 16. Lester did have a 18" but I have never heard of a aftermarket 17", may be one there is a lot of stuff I have not heard of:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked the tire today guys and its definitely a 16 inch. I ordered some Dunlop 404s from my local Honda bike dealer to have installed. I'll be running 130/90/16 on the rear and 100/90/19 on the front.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts