Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am going to replace the tires on my '81 GL1100I this spring and was going to get Dunlop 404's because that's what on her now. From what I understand, there are limited choices in manufacturers for the sizes that I need (17 rear, 19 front). The P.O., my Dad, has only ever ran on the 404's and highly regards them. Keep in mind that this is my first and only bike and I'm a relative newby with only one season and 10k km in the saddle.

So, what are my choices in tires? Why do some of you express a dislike for the 404's? I ride mostly by myself, sometimes two up with my wife and rarely loaded to the max with camping gear and a small trailer in tow.

Regards,
Rick

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
imported post

I run the 404's on mine 81. I use the bike to ride back and forth to work. I have never used it to pull trailor. I get 10 to 12 thousand out of a rear. Just pulled a front with 18,000 and it still had 3 to 5 thousand let on it. I have no cupping problems with them either. I can not compare to anything else on the 1100. It is all I have ever used on it. I also run a gl1500. It has Metzlers on it. Look a little farther down on this forum there is another discussion on Dunlop tires maybe it will help.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

My 82 GL 1100 I had a 404 on the rear when I bought it last summer. The PO put it on so he could sell her with new tires, so it was new. That tire spent most of it's short life carrying the bike with two up and pulling/stopping a trailer. It only lasted about 4000,4500 miles. This is the first tire I've worn out pulling a trailer so maybe this is normal I don't know. Maybe someone else can say. FWIW. I replaced it with a Dunlop E3. So far so good.

Good luck with your bike and ride safe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.