Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Looking to replace both tires this winter(reduce downtime next spring). I liked the dunlop 491's but they have been discontinued. Really looking for a quiet tire. Any singing I hear should be mine(no radio).

I understand that the 1200's are not rated for radial tires.

What is a good replacement tire for my old wing

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

I put a set of Bridgestone Spitfire's on my '84. Very pleased.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

ldone wrote:
Looking to replace both tires this winter(reduce downtime next spring). I liked the dunlop 491's but they have been discontinued. Really looking for a quiet tire. Any singing I hear should be mine(no radio).

I understand that the 1200's are not rated for radial tires.

What is a good replacement tire for my old wing
:waving:The Avon Venom would be a good replacement tire for your "Old Wing". Below is a link to the Avon site showing the tires for your bike.

I have Venoms on my '83 Interstate and after 10,650 miles they show very little wear and Ihave not experienced any tire noise.

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/?page=fitment&method=fitments&manufacturer=31&id=713&model=&year=1984

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

I just replaced the Elite 2's on my '84 Aspencade with bias Elite 3's. So far they seem to handle as good as or maybe better than the E 2. They are quiet as well. I just dont like the look of them as much as the 2's ( I liked the aggressive lookingtread on the 2's) and I was not able to get the new 3's with raised white letters. I am anxious to see if they remain serviceable as long as the old tires did................

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

The 491 was my favorite for quite a few years but I was low on money and bought some Cheng Shin Hi Max for the 1000 and CX500. The price at J C Whitney was less than half and I really like the tires. They're wearing well too.

Q

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for your words of advice and your suggestions helped me todecide.:)

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

I replaced the e2 on the rear of my 1984 1200 with a Kenda Kruz...very affordable and I like the way it handles....much better than the e-2's for my taste... As for noise, I don't hear any, but my hearing is not so good....especially with my stereo blasting away..

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I also just replaced tires on one of my 84 GL1200s. I used Elite 3s and am very pleased.

I just ran it across the Ortega Highway here in CA, and it had a very confident feel in the twisties.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I settled on a pair of e3's from dennis kirk, manu date 6/08.

All I need now is good weather to ride:)

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

ldone wrote:
I settled on a pair of e3's from dennis kirk, manu date 6/08.

All I need now is good weather to ride:)
It was unbearable here yesterday. 7am temperatures just below 50 degrees. :)

(I was tough tho, and rode anyway).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.