Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Im a new gw rider. I have a 85 1200a that needs new tires. What tires can you recommend. Ive read about car tires on the rear. If so, what size. Ive read about putting rear tires on the front and running thetread backwards. Please offer some help to the ignorant and confused.

Thanks,

John:?

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. I don't know of any car tire that will fit in the rear swing-arm of a 1200. That along with the 15" rim from Honda doesn't play well with 15" car tires. I've had Metzlers,Continental,Dunlop E-3s,and lately Shenko. The biggest deal is finding a 15" tire you're willing to pay for.

Check the web for the best prices/shipping. If you're willing to put on a new set every season, the Shenko touring set rode andgripped very well for me but 8K isn't enough miles on a set of tires in my opinion.

The 15/1800 guys are running car tires to get higher milage. Typically rear motor-cycle tires have more tread depth than do the front tires. Mounting a rear tire,(of the proper size), on the front should get you more miles from the tire. I believe the reversing of the tire has to do with the tread design and water displacement... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
imported post

I've been running Kenda Cruz on my 1200. Great price with great grip wet and dry. I have about 1000 miles on them. I have had Dunlops on other bikes, including my last GW1200 and for the price these are the best I have had.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

I'v e ran the Dunlop E3's and the Bridgstone Spitfires. Still running the Spitfires so far I like them a little better than the E3's. The E3's had some funny low speed handling characteristics and seemed to like to follow grooves a little more than the Bridgestones. Not that the E3's were bad, I would not be against running them again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.