Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My brother is buying an 89 GL1500 that needs tires. I have dunlop E3s on mine.
Where would be the best place to buy them? Price is a consideration as money is short.
Is there a better tire for the money?
Thanks
Bill

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Thanks Rudy
If I get tires and want to mount and balance them myself where can I get the tire tools and a balancer. I checked here in town and to take the rear tire off the bike and mount and balance both fr & rear is going to cost $140
Thanks
Bill

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Ogrebro wrote:
Thanks Rudy
If I get tires and want to mount and balance them myself where can I get the tire tools and a balancer. I checked here in town and to take the rear tire off the bike and mount and balance both fr & rear is going to cost $140
Thanks
Bill
Go to Harbor Freight. They have a changer you mount to concrete and also have a motorcycle adapter for it. Also a balancer is available.
I would seek out some good rim protectors and spoons to add to it.

The changer and MC adapter runs under $200 and I don't follow the balancer much but you will need to balance on a 3/4" ID clearance if you don't want to have to pop out your wheel bearings.

Once you get it and get set up, put an ad in your local Craigs List that you do it. You should be able to get $35 - $60 per tire if $70/tire is what your local rips are charging.

Pays for things pretty quick that way.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,396 Posts
imported post

If money is tight, the proper tools will bust your budget. Pull the wheels off the bike and take them to a place in your neck of the woods that has reasonable prices, including mounting.

If there's nothing in K-Falls, try Bend, or even Portland.

And Bridgestone tires are usually lower priced and in many people's opinion, better tires than the Dunnies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.