Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I need to get new tires for my 2007 1800 wing. This is thefirst time I have bought tires and I am looking for suggetions and info.It has bridgestones now but I have heard that the dunlop elite 3's are the ones to go with. Bring on the comments

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
imported post

Elite 3's are very noisy, and get noisier with more miles. I like the Bridgestones.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
imported post

I have Elite 3's on my 95 1500 and can not wait to get rid of them. Trying to put enough miles on them to justify getting rid of them, but at this point I only have about 6k on them. One day I am just going to finally get sick of them and put something else on. If I can, I will put Elite 2's back on. I really liked that tire but got talked into these as they were the "new and best thing". They are noisy and I don't feel comfortable on them.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

SJY207 wrote:
I have Elite 3's on my 95 1500 and can not wait to get rid of them. Trying to put enough miles on them to justify getting rid of them, but at this point I only have about 6k on them. One day I am just going to finally get sick of them and put something else on. If I can, I will put Elite 2's back on. I really liked that tire but got talked into these as they were the "new and best thing". They are noisy and I don't feel comfortable on them.
Maybe the E 3's for the 1500 are different than for the 1200 or maybe I'm deaf but I don't hear tyre noise until the pegs are about to scrape.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I just ordered a Metzler 808 front for my trike. The E3 was ok, but noisy and always had a vibration no matter how well balanced it was. I'm anxious to try the Metzler. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,467 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
SJY207 wrote:
Maybe the E 3's for the 1500 are different than for the 1200 or maybe I'm deaf but I don't hear tyre noise until the pegs are about to scrape.
I'm not really deaf but I don't notice anytire noise with GFR cranked a bit...... :cool:

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/TiNn7SlxVWM&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Dunflops Es are not a good tyre for the 1800 ,noisy , wobble in the front .we have had a few recently here in Ireland thatthe thread has peeled right off after less than 2000 miles , Bridgestones in my opinion are the best tyre for a safe and comfortable ride on the 1800 , , the mileage might not be as good as other makes ,but the safty factor is better than all of them and that is what I want ,.each to his own ,But remember all that is between you and the road are 2 bits of rubber ..

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

jimsjinx wrote:
I just ordered a Metzler 808 front for my trike. The E3 was ok, but noisy and always had a vibration no matter how well balanced it was. I'm anxious to try the Metzler. jimsjinx
Keep the pressure up on that tire Jim. I've had 880s on my 1200 and also my 1800. I like them alot, but they like high pressure. I run 41psi up front on my 1800.

·
Registered
110 Posts
imported post

I changed from Bridgestone to Avon and never regretted it. overnight they cured a handlebar shake.

Alan Y

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
imported post

I have had the stock dunlops, stock bridgestone and the avon cobra's

The Avon Cobras front and back seems to be a better handling tire for my style of riding and has great wet weather traction. I opted for the 70 series profile rear tire that helped with the speedo error and lift the rear up a bit for better cornering in tight turns.

On my 2012 I will go to the Avon front once the stock bridgestone is worn out and I am running a CT out back since my rear bridgestone got a flat.

If you get the Avon Cobras make sure to run the front and rear at 41psi, if you leave the front at 36psi based on the book then you will get cupping up front after 2-3k miles.

JW

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

There are a lot of opinions on what is the best tire for your 1800, but in truth it all depends on your riding style and how much weight you carry on the wing. I typically ride 2 up and much of the time on long trips tow a trailer so my fat gal (bike) goes through tires like they were candy.

My personal experience.

I've had the original D250's (2 sets), fast wear, cupping and wobble after about 3,000 miles - lasted about 7,000 miles

Metzler ME 880's Sever wobble on both sets, one replaced under warranty, the second when I had <3,000 miles on the bike due to the severe wobble.

Avon Venoms - Very Sticky, hold corners well, no wobble. Replaced the first rear tire at < 1,000 miles due to a large bolt that went through the tread. Second read had to come off at just under 3,000 miles due to a large bulge that developed on the sidewall - felt like sponge rubber. I like the feel of the tires and if Avon would have stood behind the warranty I would probably still be using them.

Dunlop E3's - 3 sets.. Gets a little noisy after they start to wear but not annoying. 1's set I again caught a large object in the tread and punctured through the belts. (about 7,000 miles) Second set.... Tread separated at less that 3,000 miles just when we were setting out for Florida from Seattle. Stopped about 160 miles from home and noticed a severe wobble when pulling into the gas station. After Fueling up I pulled over and examined the tire. Tread separated at where the belts overlap and had a 4" x1/2" gap in the tread. New tire in a small town (Ellensburg) cost me $378!!!. I rode them for 8,000 miles and then went to the darkside....gasp....shock....not to be mentioned here.

I won't go into the darkside story at this time but they now have 7,000 miles on them and they are just beginning to wear.

I liked the feel of the Avons and the E3's but I havent had good luck with them. The 1800 is a tire eater to be sure.

No matter what tires you get make sure you check them every morning before you ride for the day. Keep the pressure up and look for defects in both the tread and sidewalls.

Sorry to be so long winded but I haven't found the "Perfect" tire for the 1800 yet.

Henry

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

I just replaced my stock Dunlops with Bridgestones and am very happy with them except they're so quiet that the injectors ticking away seem louder now. We recently went on a 1900km. ride in hot sun, rain, twisty roads and freeways, the tires were great.

Cliff.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

I have Bridgestone's on the front and the rear.:D

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

I had my Dunflops (e-3s) for around 10k miles (don't know for sure because they were on there when i got the bike) and they were noisy and cupped badly when i got rid of them. The ride wasn't bad though except the wobble. I've had bridgestones on for close to 10k miles now and they only get noisy when I'm in a tight turn. Most of my miles have been on the interstate though and they have a "flat" spot because of this. They still have plenty of tread left but are getting close to the wear bars. When I'm done with this set, I'm going to the darkside for the cookies. :) I've done a lot of research on the darkside and well, I'll just say this, If you are interested, you should do your own reading on it and come up with your own opinion on it. Every tire brand is going to have different defects. Even car tires have problems, just you don't hear about them as often as you do motorcycle tires because generally speaking a car tire going bad isn't as dangerous as a motorcycle tire going bad (4 vs 2). I would say try them all eventually and see which ones you like the best for your type of riding style. Unfortunately this idea wouldn't be cheap. lol, :) Happy safe riding.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
imported post

What tire pressures are everyone using for the Metzeler 880 on a 1500? I was at 40-41 front and 41 rear and severe cupping was the result. Funny that i still got 18k+ miles on the rear but not much tread left and needs replacing. Both are very noisy. The front started cupping RIGHT away and has about 11k on it. Progressive springs with 10W in the front and Progressive 450 in the rear and works great. For my weight 15w was too thick in the front according to Progressive and seemed like it to me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.