Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Can anyone suggest a good set of tires for my gl 1500? Running elite 3's but they have cupped quit a bit. Have just over 10K miles on them. My riding is mostly 2 lane mtn. roads with turns, and some interstate. Thanks you guys, this is the best info site I have found.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

I've got Michelin Pilot GT's on mine and I really like them. They hold the road well. I can't say how well they last. They were on the bike when I bought it and I've only put about 6K miles on. There is still lots of tread left.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,842 Posts
imported post

I'll 2nd the Michelin Pilot GTs.

Road handling and confidence just can't be beat.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

everything that I've read about and researched, the michelin Pilots will be on my wing next. My plan was to order them when I got back from a trip. On the trip, a flat rear had me getting what the dealer had in stock which were elite 3's. Not compliants, just know that I will try the pilots the next go around

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
imported post

I have the Michelin Pilot GT's and will run them next time time around also. I had Elites last time and like the Pilots very well. They are superb in the corners.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
imported post

I know about not mentioning tires, oil or plugs on this website. But! I've run E 3's on my 1200 and 1500 and would have never switched. I put 30K on one set on my 1200 and still had allot of meat left. The current miles on my 1500 was 23K, but last November I was riding to my CMA breakfast and went around a slight turn in the road that was wet and I ended up in the other lane. Luckily it was early in the morning and no one was on the road. I lost traction on wet roads 3 more times that day. Almost had to change shorts, I was just cruising and not cutting the turn fast either. So I put the bike up for the winter, this past Wednesday just installed my Pilot GT's, with only a couple of hundred mile on them I like them. I've been a big fan of Dunlop for years, so for me to switch, took allot. One reason I get good mileage out of my tires I think is that I ride 99% of the time by myself with no passenger. BY the way I got a set of Michelin Pilot GT's for my 1500 for 267.98 shipped, wich was the cheapest I found anywhere at: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I think I've said this on here ,,,, um ,, once or twice, but I think it's worth repeating.

I went through 2 sets of the E3's and got over 14,000 miles on both sets and could have gone more, but I like having tread under me.

I switched to the Pilot GT's last fall. I only have around 2,000 + miles on them so far. The handling proformance is SOOOOO much better. Cornering is very smooth. I went out today and did close to 200 miles and a lot of it was twisty. The bike never felt so good. I never scraped the boards, but I know I had to be damn close and it felt great.

But I wouldn't be afraid of useing the E3's again,,,,,, But the GT's will be my first choice.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Another vote for the Michelin's. I've got over 10K on mine now, put them on in August, and they are still doing great. I got caught in some snow and hail last Sunday, and they even handled well in that stuff. Saw 3 cars in the ditch on the ride, but the Wing did well. I was of course riding very conservative in that stuff. I have ridden much less conservative in the rain with them, and they grip very well. Even if I don't get the mileage out of them that I got out of the E3's, they are worth it to me.

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.