Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i plugged my rear tire as i had a screw in it. i was told i should not trust a plug but should replace the tire. i have bridgestone spitfires on the bike now but want to switch to elite 3s. i called to order the e3 but the local honda shop said they would only install front and rear together if they don't match due to liability. front still has plenty of tread, why can't you mismatch tires? iveheard other say they have different front and rear.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

That is what I call dealer bull.
The rear plugged tire is something you have to decide about. I would ride a plugged tire if it were the rear and it was the right kind of hole in the right place.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
That is what I call dealer bull.
Or FUD, "Fear Uncertainty Doubt".
Find another dealer, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, even Hardly or an independent.

Most of my 40 years on motorcycles was on mismatched tyres and I never saw a problem.:shock:

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
imported post

Rudy,

I plugged my rear tire because of a small nail, and went from Tennesse to Pennslyvania with no problem. It was however a special plug kit from napa. It is what they called a permanent plug. It actually becomes part of the tire. Cost around $40.00. Cheaper than a new Elite 3, especially if you have lots of tread left.

Wingrider59:waving:

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

I would like to sell you a set of tires too (I don't really sell tires) I have seen plugged tires go the life of the tire with no problems, in fact never seen one come out. I probably never rode a bike with matched tires unless it was a new one either.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

different brands? thats hogwash, i ridden numerous miles with mixed brands never had a problem. if its a simple hole plug it. numerous tires are on the road with plugs. just do it correctly. walkabout :)

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

So your rear tire had a screw in it? I think the dealer is trying to do the same thing to you.

I have ridden thousands of miles on tires of different brands with no problems. Find another dealer quick.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
imported post

Wingrider59 wrote:
Rudy,

I plugged my rear tire because of a small nail, and went from Tennesse to Pennslyvania with no problem. It was however a special plug kit from napa. It is what they called a permanent plug. It actually becomes part of the tire. Cost around $40.00. Cheaper than a new Elite 3, especially if you have lots of tread left.

Wingrider59:waving:
I have never heard of this $40 plug but it sounds like a good idea to me.
Mark I would go to a different dealer and I would tell the dealer that told you he would not do that, that you are going to take your business elsewhere and you are now posting about it on the goldwing site. See what he says then. Probably nothing.
It makes me mad when the dealers expect us to go to them with all of our business but give no customer service in return. Most of them wont even remember you if you go in every other day. Bad service I say

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

At work we have a fleet of trucks and vans. Whenever a viehcle goes in to get a new tire the tire places always try to say they cant replace just one tire and try to sell you 4 new tires even if the other 3 are near new. It's a game they play They are lower than filth in my mind prying on unsespecting customers trusts and fears
Wilf

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
imported post

wilf wrote:
At work we have a fleet of trucks and vans. Whenever a viehcle goes in to get a new tire the tire places always try to say they cant replace just one tire and try to sell you 4 new tires even if the other 3 are near new. It's a game they play They are lower than filth in my mind prying on unsespecting customers trusts and fears
Wilf
DITTO!

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

saltmar14 wrote:
i plugged my rear tire as i had a screw in it. i was told i should not trust a plug but should replace the tire. i have bridgestone spitfires on the bike now but want to switch to elite 3s. i called to order the  e3 but the local honda shop  said they would only install front and rear together if they don't match due to liability. front still has plenty of tread, why can't you mismatch tires? ive heard other say they have different front and rear. 
Let me add that you couldn't get too much more mismatched than my car tire on the back and a rear bike tire on the front of my bike. Rides like a dream and better traction than I ever got from bike tires alone. One other thing is, ask the dealer if the tread patterns for the front and rear tires are different (they are). Ask him how the front and rear tires know what each other tire's pattern is.

I think you have enough info to make an informed decision.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

I remember I took a company truck into walmart once for tires, we had put a junk yard axle in it (not bad considering the truck had 365,000 on it), but it had one broken wheel stud. They replaced 3 tires and said they couldn't touch the back one with the busted stud. I backed the truck out of the parking lot, jacked it up, put the last bad tire on the front and the new one on the back, drove it back in and they replaced the tire, no questions asked, just a little wink.

Compare that to BigO tires. I took a '63 lincoln in for a set of tires (she'd been in storage for 10 years). They took the car in and put it on the lift. They came back in after about 30 minutes andtold me they found a leaking power steering line (low pressure),bad tie rods (just the boots really), and questionable u-joints. They couldn't let me leave the shop until they'd fixedall of that because of liability. I told him to give me my ****ingkeys and get my car off the lift. He gave me stern warning, but let me take the car, so much for liability.

All depends on the shop you go to sometimes.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote
Let me add that you couldn't get too much more mismatched than my car tire on the back and a rear bike tire on the front of my bike. Rides like a dream and better traction than I ever got from bike tires alone. One other thing is, ask the dealer if the tread patterns for the front and rear tires are different (they are). Ask him how the front and rear tires know what each other tire's pattern is.

Rudy, you're such a rebel :cool:

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

two honda shops said won't change tires unless they match, one no charge to install if bought from them, 3rd would install one but charge for installation, $250. for older wings. motorcycle tire center wold sell and install for $300. They said the reason not to mix is because if the tire density, goove pattern, or material is different it could cause handling proublem or vibration. they said that dunlop and bridgestone are made in the same plant they should be compatable. I think my patch may be leaking I will check with napa tomarrow.
thanks for comments everyone.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,749 Posts
imported post

Well, if you are uncomfortable with the plugged tire, replace it with another Spitfire, then both tires should be pretty much worn down at the same time.

I personally don't like to mis-match tires, but have never heard of anyone having serious problems from mis-matches.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

like dennis say's put another spit on it if you feel uncomfortable with the plug. spit is probly a lot cheaper and nice tire on a wing
wilf

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
saltmar14 wrote:
i plugged my rear tire as i had a screw in it. i was told i should not trust a plug but should replace the tire. i have bridgestone spitfires on the bike now but want to switch to elite 3s. i called to order the e3 but the local honda shop said they would only install front and rear together if they don't match due to liability. front still has plenty of tread, why can't you mismatch tires? iveheard other say they have different front and rear.

Nice ride Rudy. What tire are you using for the rear and are you happy with it? If you were to start over again would you choose the same tire.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

dheaton wrote:
Rudy wrote:
saltmar14 wrote:
i plugged my rear tire as i had a screw in it. i was told i should not trust a plug but should replace the tire. i have bridgestone spitfires on the bike now but want to switch to elite 3s. i called to order the  e3 but the local honda shop  said they would only install front and rear together if they don't match due to liability. front still has plenty of tread, why can't you mismatch tires? ive heard other say they have different front and rear. 

Nice ride Rudy.  What tire are you using for the rear and are you happy with it?  If you were to start over again would you choose the same tire.
Thanks.
I'm running the Federal tire in my signature. I like it but it has a less rigid sidewall than I would like with the trailer on. Next time I'm thinking about the Dunlop Wintersport ROF to get a stiffer sidewall. I like the lower ride of these tires as I have short legs but some guys who want a taller tire are using the Austone Taxi tire which also has stiff walls due to being a 6 ply and nice rounded edges of the tread.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

anybody have pro or con with spitfires? couldn't find anyhting on brigstone site.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Im running one on my front and I like it. Have about 8000 on it with Dyna beads, it's wearing good, rides great. I would say I have another 8000 left on it.

Warning however, when I first put dyna beads in the front end bounced at low speeds a lot. It settled down after a few weeks.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.