Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Texting Survivor "Barely"
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Bought a new 2010 and started riding it April this year had 1 km on it.

So now I have had it 4 whole months..........and the tires are shot.... heavy cupping on both front andthe rear, the rearis the worst and they now howl......

Went to dealer and they said must be a under inflation problem!!! my fault...... we can sell you new ones they said...... ??? the 2010 has a pressure sensor on it and it has never come on........ 41 psi in rear 38 psi in front.

Any ideas what is wrong or will I be selling this bike............ I'm not keeping a bike that needs tires every 4 months that's just stupid!!!!!!! my car is 7 years old and still has the same tires on it as it came with....... Ya they need replacing too.

I've heard of putting a car tire on the back but was told by my dealer that would be illegal and would void the warranty

Bike now has 9125 km,s on it or {converted 5670 miles} my 1500 would get over 20000 km,s (13000 miles}on a tire and that was pulling a trailer. I haven't pulled a trailer with the new one.

So what should I do??

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

My original tires, dunlops, lasted 3 months (8000miles) the second set, bridgestones,the same. Cupping and noise were much worse on the stones but I did put up with it until I wore them out. Then I went to a car tire. I get about 50% more miles and enjoy it a lot more.

To add, it is not illegal and does not void the warranty, the dealer may give you problems though.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Which tires came on it? I didn't like the D250s for cupping, but I've ran the E-3s at 41/41 and never a problem. But I run a CT now and don't worry about it, besides, it you have a dealer that tells you that crap, just keep a MC tire on one rim and a CT on the other, and if you have to take it in, put the MC tire on it, (Only takes about 5 minutes on the 1800) and he can't say anything. Heck by the owners manual which doesn't (at least here in the states) say a darn thing about car tires, but does say do not tow with your bike, but the dealer will install a hitch for you.:shock: BTW, I'd like to see that law that says it is illegal to run a CT. Probably40% of the 1800s out there now run a CT. The jails should be overflowing!:shock: BTW, welcome to the forum!:claps::claps::claps:

Gene:action:

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

I got at least 10k on the E-3's that were on my bike when I got it (I don't know how many miles were on them before I got the bike) and So far I've put 9k miles on my Bridgestones. The front still looks new and the back is fairly close to the wear bars but still has a quite a few miles left to go on them. when I'm done with this rear tire I'm putting a CT on it. It's not illegal here, but I don't know about where you are (although I truly doubt that it is).

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

I run E-3 and they last 12k miles, they feather on the sides at 4k which makes them sound and feel like snow tires. towing 2up makes it happen quicker. I do not believe there is a MC tire any different

·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Think I will go with a car tire. thanks for the info sorry I was slow to reply. Work gets in the way of life sometimes.......

what do most folks use as a car tire?

As for illegal here I know that any dealer can only install a tire that is approved for use by manufacturer. If I do it myself I can't see a problem.

Good tip about another rim to keep a motorcycle tire on GLester, will see about another one. Thanks

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

You can p/u a 1800 rim from a trike shop(or someone who triked their bike), some w/new tire on it and a rotor for @$100-$150
Here is some good reading on types/brands CT's used on the 1800s
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

DiveDude69 wrote:
Bought a new 2010 and started riding it April this year had 1 km on it.

So now I have had it 4 whole months..........and the tires are shot.... heavy cupping on both front and the rear, the rear is the worst and they now howl......

Went to dealer and they said must be a under inflation problem!!!  my fault...... we can sell you new ones they said......    ??? the 2010 has a pressure sensor on it and it has never come on........ 41 psi in rear 38 psi in front.

Any ideas what is wrong or will I be selling this bike............ I'm not keeping a bike that needs tires every 4 months that's just stupid!!!!!!! my car is 7 years old and still has the same tires on it as it came with....... Ya they need replacing too.

I've heard of putting a car tire on the back but was told by my dealer that would be illegal and would void the warranty

Bike now has 9125 km,s on it or {converted 5670 miles} my 1500 would get over 20000 km,s  (13000 miles}on a tire and that was pulling a trailer. I haven't pulled a trailer with the new one.

So what should I do??

The 1800 weighs in near 900 lb give or take. Tires will prematurely wear out if not religiously maintained. Do not rely on tire pressure sensors on MC. Their sensitivity is not even close. You need a good digital gauge and use it weekly of not more.

My 07 loses air weekly in the front tire and a little less in the rear CT. Tire pressures are very critical for my tire performance. 44 in the front and 35 in the CT. Down here in FL the front Stone will usually get well over 20, 0000, achieving 26,500 on the ist and a little less on the second, 22,000. The third now has 13, 800 and will reach 20,000 before change out. This tire is really taking a beating on the 10,000+ mile tour this year do to high corner forces and very poor roads. 44psi tire pressure works well on this tire.

The CT works very well for me down here as the roads are flat and smooth, however I am not opposed to heavy leaning in tight corners when required with the current Hankook (non run flat) 14,000+). The steep twisties either wet or dry, this tire performed as it should. No slippage allowed. One lean over scraped the exhaust header cover and center stand. (Good testimonial to the tire's side wall, but total lack of smarts on my part). While assessing the damaged undercarriage, I noticed the sidewall still had the molding nubs on the side.

Answer to your question, keep the 1800 but workout the many issues of operation. It took 3 years for me to get really comfortable with The Beast. I now put in on like an old coat.

·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Many Thanks for all the infofrom everyone.

Am looking at putting on a CT now,seems everyone that I read about that has one is happy with the results.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.