Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had some issues with front tire wobble on my 85 Ltd, with a Voyager trike. Just put a Pirelli on the front, seemed to fix those deceleration wobbles, 35-45mph. But now I notice the trike tires bouncing. Put 1oz balancing beads in both, better but still bounces a bit. Good at 60mph though. Have more beads on the way.

Question is, the trike tires are radials, which according to Voyager's website they come that way, but has anyone used anything different with success? I was always under thw impression to never mix bias and radial tires.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The first question that comes to my mind if you have wobbling issues are the forks. Are they a raked fork or still Factory? Typically wobbling front ends indicate Factory Forks in most cases a trike conversion they highly recommend raked Forks. Second thing is balancing beads my opinion there a waste of money a set of balancing weights on the Wheel Old School method is the best.
As for front tire I've been using Avon cobra tire that is specifically made for trikes I highly recommend this tire you will not believe the ride you get with it. I'm on my second Cobra trike Tire and got 18K out of first Tire with no issues.

·
Administrator
57,510 Posts
Second thing is balancing beads my opinion there a waste of money a set of balancing weights on the Wheel Old School method is the best.

a lot of difference of opinion with this.

Beads will always keep the tires in balance, whereas solid weights will not.

Beads will pretty much prevent cupping, whereas it is obvious that weights don't.

I have 3 oz of Dyna Beads in the front E3, and 4 oz of Dyna Beads in the rear Michelin RF tire....

most folks think that is 1 oz more than needed for either tire.
actually, it don't make any difference, as the beads will balance out completely regardless of the amount, provided you don't:

1) not enough to counteract an imbalance

2) put in so much, that there is just a solid lump of something that can't balance anything.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've done everything but replace the swing arm bearings and rear tire. New front tire helped tremendously, I use beads in all 4 tires. When I added some to the trike tires it helped even more. Before when I changed the stem bearings, rebuilt front forks with progressives, front bearings, it didn't change, although the suspension is awesome. I constantly check my PSI, so that's out.

I know for a fact the right trike tire has issues because I can see it bounce a little. The beads helped, and adjusting my trike preload to 1" really made a difference in handling.

Just still feel a bit of wobble at around 40-45 mph. Bugs me. My Shadow Aero is smooth as glass, wish my big girl was too.

I'm thinking about changing tires on the trike, and wanted to know which tires to get, radial or bias, and if that makes a difference.
Thanks

PS, Dennis needs to ride, he's going stir-crazy sitting around. Me too come to think about it, argh!

·
Registered
18 Posts
You need to make sure that the Voyager trike is set up according to the instructions. If not you will get a bad wobble at low speeds. Had a Voyager on my 92 Gl1500se.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts