Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Which are better tires?

• Bridgestone (orginials)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other Brand (if you pick this option mention the brand please)

Votes: 0 0.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Ok this is probably a dumb question but just want opinions from those who have ridden on both. Looking at replacing tires and I can get the same tires that are stock on the new wings or go with a set of elite3's. The originals are Bridgestones. The elite 3's are more spendy. Which is better and if you say the elite 3's why do you think so? Ride? Treadwear?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

:headbanger::arguing::fighting::headbanger::cooldevil:

Well, you did ask for opinions.:D:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
imported post

:shock: :realshocked::thumpingmad: Oh no you did'nt... Even a poll... :D

I like my Bridgstones... It's a personal choice... Depends a lot on how you ride...

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Yeah I know it's like armpits and A$%holes everyone has one but that's what I'm looking for peoples opinions. I figured most would choose the Elite3's but are they that much better and worth the extra $???

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

Avon cobras for me....MHO

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

I have the Elite III's, don't know how many miles on them as they were on the bike when I got it. They looked pretty new...

The one and only complaint I have about them is that they sing quite a bit. Straight up they are nice and quiet, but lean her over and you get serenaded:)

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I have had 2 sets of Dunlops and they have served me well. I have Mich. pilots on my Vette and if their motorcycle tire is a good as these, my next set will be pilots.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

I hear good things about the stones, but I'm running E-3's and intend on replacing the one's I have with new E-3's. They seem to be working well for me and so, if it's not broke --------------.

·
Administrator
27,908 Posts
imported post

The E3s probably won't last quite as long as the stones but they do everything else better. I don't use either one now but have tried both and was way happier with the E3.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
imported post

I mounted up a set of Shinko radials on my 1500. I am very happy so far. Have a little over 3,000 miles. Ride is great. Time will tell about the wear.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
imported post

i have a 07 1800 with factory tires on it with 13,500 on the 250 dunlops. they still look in pretty good shape . in the fall i will buy a new sets, i think i will stick with the dunlops they have done me well.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

When I changed out the original 250's and put on the Dunlop E3 I was pleased. Don't know about the mileage I'll get.
Have put over 4,000 miles on them and love them.
The rain grooves went away. Can still see them but don't feel them.
Handle well in the rain.
Very good tire in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
20,620 Posts
imported post

I've got 47,000 miles on my 1800 and on my 3rd set of E3's. The only complaint that I have is that after they wear, they get noisey. I just turn up the music.............:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

I just installed a set of E-3's, and I am really pleased with them, And the best deal I found on them were at a Harley dealer, $107 rear $100 front and they mounted them both for $80. ( YES! A Harley Dealer mounted my tires :shock: ) Take Care - Jim

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

jk-1 wrote:
I just installed a set of E-3's, and I am really pleased with them, And the best deal I found on them were at a Harley dealer, $107 rear $100 front and they mounted them both for $80. ( YES! A Harley Dealer mounted my tires :shock: ) Take Care - Jim
Wow, I don't even want to tell you what the Wing dealer in Fargo wants for both tires installed lets just say it's twice the price you paid and then some. :X

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
imported post

Moorhead WingFan wrote:
jk-1 wrote:
Wow, I don't even want to tell you what the Wing dealer in Fargo wants for both tires installed lets just say it's twice the price you paid and then some. :X
I also checked with "U" motors on tires, ouch, I ordered a pilot gt from motorcycle superstore online, free shipping, no tax, about 125 bucks, had Ma's cycle in West fargo put it on, think they charged me 45 bucks, good group at Ma's.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

Mine came with the D250. I replaced them with Elite 3. I am replacing these with Bridgestone.

I found the Dunlops to be entirely to slippery on both dry and wet pavement. There seem to be a lot of recommendations for the Bridgestone and Metzlers for better traction than the Dunlops. I don't ride extremely aggressive but, I do tend to drag the boards often.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
imported post

Hmm I was leaning strong to the EliteIII's but will have to do more research I guess. Your's is the first comment I've seen about the E3's being slippery. Anyone else find that to be the case? Oh and Knute thanks for the headsup on the online store. I've been over to Ma's quite a few times just looking over the bikes. I like your idea about getting the tires online and then going over to Ma's. Now I just have to decide on the tires :doh:

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Ok here you go! I have an E3 on the front and Pilot GT on the rear! One whines constantly going down the road and depending on the road surface how loud it gets. The other (E3)is quiet until you lean into a curve. Both tires are excellent. Right now if it came to noise I would lean to the E3 for both front and rear. There is at least 15k on the E3 and nearly 10k on the pilot. Just a month ago both started showing signs of cupping. 42psi in rear, 41psi in the front

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

That was the general message that I got from the local GWRRA club before I put the E3s on mine. I hadrun several sets ofE2s on my 1100 and was happy with them. I figured I would go with the E3s anyway. They were unimpressive to say the least. I had mine slip on me several times in corners(front and rear seperately)and on acceleration and decelerations. Most of these were in situtations where I had been many times before with the 1100 and it never slipped on me there. I found similar recommendations from either Steve or Wexy? Might have been both, here on this site. I found more comments at ..... http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220161&highlight=bridgestone

along with many other threads on the subject..... As there aren't many choices for the 1800s I think in about another year I will have tried them all. Good luck on your choices.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.