Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just bought a 88 1500 and it looks like it will need tires this week.It came with Dunlop 177 s.I talked to the bike shop and they are pushing the Metzlers.They say they handle better and last longer.Any advice?Thanks in advance......Trapper

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

The 880 Metz is the only rubber for the GL1500 IMO. Better grip in wet or dry and wear life is about as good as the K177 Lops.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
imported post

Iput this question to some Wing owners at this years TT Most had chopped and changed manufactures, nearly all came back to the Dunlop, I have stayed with Dunlop.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Score is 1 to 1...need a tie breaker...Trapper

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Yeah I would agree with the Lops for the 1500. :DI had them on my three 1500 and they did the business. :)I use the stones on my 1800 because thats what mother honda had fitted when I bought her new, and they are just top. :cool:When you get to my age in life, :shock:a good tyre is very important. :?

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I've had both and I prefer the Metzelers. For the wet weather we get in the UK they grip much better, although I personally find they wear out a bit faster than the 177s.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
imported post

Metz 880s for me. Haven't look back or regretted the decision since.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

I often wonder how the tyre makers test the tyres for the Wing. I know that Dunlops are well tested on the actual bike while in development stage (so any problems can be fixed), but how do the other makers do their testing, is it just guesswork? Not being sure would make some people stick with the tyre suggested by Honda.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Tanx for the replies fellas.I bought the metzlers and put about 1.000 kms on them in 2 days through the mountains.The handling is greatly improved.The only other mod I want to do is change the front springs to progressives.Any coments on those?

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

Progressive all the way. I'm into about 200,000 kl on mine and are doing the job. I replaced the originals after about 100,000 as they were totally shot. Back to your tire......check your mileage on it. I tried a pair one year and wore them out after in one riding season. Yes they are better in the rain, but I don't practice hairbrained high speed curves no matter what tire I'm using. I'm truly a Dulop Touring Elite II fan.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Hey Redwing... Just how old are you anyway????????????????????????????????:D

All Gave Some,, Some Gave All

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

The Metzeler 880 gets mixed reactions over here. I've seen pictures of them with lumps gone out of them at low miles. I'm not 100% sure, but I thought I read something about this tyre being either recalled or replaced witha better version (same 880 number though).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.