Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Any idea on average miles forfront and rear tires for a 1989 Wing

Thanks I Mis Three

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

It would be better if we knew what model, ie is it a US bike or a European one? Fill your location in your profile as it helps with this sort of thing.

If you have Dunlop 177s, you should get around 7000 miles front and 11000 miles from the back. If you have 491s (fitted to loads of US models back then), you can expect at least 12000 miles front and 18000 iles back. This is for normal riding style. Can't say about other types of tyres. if you let us know what rubber you have fitted then someone will know the answer.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Brian's figures are about right for the Lops. What tires do you have on your '89?

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

by the way the bike is a gl1500 usa

front tire is Dunlop Elite 491 130-70b/18

rear tire is Dunlop k177 160-80/16-m\c 75h

I only got approx 4500 mi on last set any sugestions

thanks again

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Fast acceleration, + hard braking will sure kill tires. I'm amazed at the (sheeple) on the streets, that go pedal to the metal from stoplight, then almost skid up to the next light, and repeat that cycle all the way through town. What a car/tire killer, not to mention mileage, and brake pad killer. Go figure. Had a gal right on my tail this morn, I'm 5 over, but noooooooo, not good enough for her. In that gas guzzler Suburban, she zoomed around me, probably up to 60 in 35 zone, then, of course, she got caught by the reddish light 10 blocks down the way. I motored up along side her, looked over, and I could see she was put out. Bunch of rug rats onboard. Probably late to sitter, and work, eh? Had another one recently that was primping in rh mirror, with cell phone on left ear, and a bowl of cereal in crotch. Course, she was steering with her upper legs. Hate the cell phone thing on ear, anyway. I've had several near misses cause of those damned things. How did we ever get by for centuries without those things? Does life do that to us?

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

imisthree wrote:
I only got approx 4500 mi on last set any sugestions

thanks again
wow, you must be driving hard as I usually get 10,000 + on the rear and 20,000+ on the front. The only time I had that bad of rear milage was a cheng sing on my 1000 which, at the time, had a sidecar

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Whoah! That Chen Shing was the second one that blew on me! Wouldn't ride double, on one of those ever again. But then again, I was definitely over loaded.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Oregonwinger wrote:
Fast acceleration, + hard braking will sure kill tires. I'm amazed at the (sheeple) on the streets, that go pedal to the metal from stoplight, then almost skid up to the next light, and repeat that cycle all the way through town. What a car/tire killer, not to mention mileage, and brake pad killer. Go figure.
Take a look at the cars in parking lots, lots of them with front wheels black from brake dust. I know people who can't get 20,000 miles out of a set of front pads on their car.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I just saw that this morn on a fairly clean van. The rear silver hubcaps were, - - - , well, - - - silver. The fronts were completely black! Hows the weather up there? Rain for the next few days here. drat!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

BRowan wrote:
If you have Dunlop 177s, you should get around 7000 miles front and 11000 miles from the back. If you have 491s (fitted to loads of US models back then), you can expect at least 12000 miles front and 18000 iles back.
I must admit I am surprized. I always gotten at least twice as many miles from the front tires as the rears. I know I am a very conservative driver and I do not wear out brakes or rotors either.:baffled:

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

I must admit I am surprized. I always gotten at least twice as many miles from the front tires as the rears.
I'd have to agree that I've always replaced 2 backs to one front, and alot of my riding is touring and not abusing. (82 wing with lops elitte II)

Kyle

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Oregonwinger wrote:
I just saw that this morn on a fairly clean van. The rear silver hubcaps were, - - - , well, - - - silver. The fronts were completely black! Hows the weather up there? Rain for the next few days here. drat!
Get rid of the rain down there, I'm riding my bike down to Medford to meet my brother who's riding up from Stockton, CA so we can do some riding together.

imisthree: I've got Dunlop 491s on my bike with just about 15,000 on them and they look like they will go this summer, I'll replace them in the fall. I can't imagine why you'd only get 4500 on a set, you gotta stop doing wheelies and stoppies and tractor pulls. BTW what are you doing in the quarter mile?

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I've always gotten more mileage from the rear tire. There does seem to be much more rubber on the tread than the front..

Raymond

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.