Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My local dealer has discontinued " Continental" tire's brand new for 40 bucks!! I need one on my 1100 front. 120/90/18. He has them. Whata'ya think?? Any good???

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Check the DOT date code on them, if older than 4 years look else where.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
Check the DOT date code on them, if older than 4 years look else where.
YUP. Also, you be the Test-Pilot/Guinnea Pig & let us know if you survive them.

For me, tires is the absolute LAST place I go cheap.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
imported post

I don't know about the date thing. I think it's an overated thing. Continental makes a very good tire. Unless they've been sitting out in the weather they will be fine even if 10 yrs old or more. I'm sure arguable. I'm still running original tires on a 78 KZ650 and a 1980 KZ1000 and they work just fine. Granted I'm not going roadracing though.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

continentals are good tires. my experience is that they are rather hard to mount as a lot of them have 6 ply sidewalls..jb

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
imported post

Just as FYI - not all 1100's use 18" front tire. 1981 is 19" front rubber.

I used Continental on my BMW - soft suckers, okay on the front but the rear would wear out in short order.

As long as I don't see cracks, I don't care how old they are.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I bet that dealer would have sold the same tire a month ago for full price.

Many of us do not even realize that our band new tires may be several years old.

I wish I could have found my tires at that price. I would even consider buying more than one.

Do check the date. Dealers would probably keep and accepttires that are a couple years old, but they would tend to get rid of tires that aresignificantly older. Check date, and then make your decision.

Some riders will wear that tire out one riding season.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

The chemical binding in tires is called 'polymerization' [same as latex paint].

The cheap stuff separates [splits] & the good stuff lasts.

Most of us have seen new-looking tires...with a split down the center. The date code is there for a reason [in the U.S].

In the UK, the date code is unnecessary since the gov'tregulates the selling of aged tires [72 months max, I believe]. They know the facts.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Tire's have been inside there whole life. This is a cycle recycle (Junkyard) 1/2 mi. from me. Excellant reputation. He's got 3 1200's and 1 1100 plus a ton of other bikes!! Very interesting place to walk around!!

Goin over Monday and check the date code. Will probebly buy one as I need one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.