Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Need to replace tires on a 1998 SE that I just bought. I need help. whats best?

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

Welcome from a fellow Texan! Boy have you opened up a can of worms right out of the gate!:cheeky1: There will be a bunch of people here shortly to argue the point but a good tire is the Dunlop E3s. Now sit back and wait for the fireworks (and whatever you do don't ask about ..mana).

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

By the way theres a meet and greet scheduled for the first weekend of April in Llano, come on out! We need more Texans to show up the Kansas boys. Check it out in the events page.

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Meet and Greet sounds good. We are looking to nicer weather. Will put it on the calender. How many show up?

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Ok, I'll dare to give my $.02 real quick.

14,000 miles on 2 sets of the E-3's and still had plenty of life left.No complaints.

Now I have the Pilot GT's and find that the handleing is great. Only had them since Oct. so winter has interupted and only have around 2,000 mile on them,,,,, but they don't look it.

These are the 2 I would recommend,,,,,,,, flip a coin :D

·
Premium Member
62,895 Posts
imported post

It boils down to where and how YOU ride.. I've tried a lot of tires.. For me the best combination has been a Avon Venom in front and a Stone in the rear..
Try what you think and if that doesn't work try something else.. Tires don't last forever.........

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
imported post

Welcome .... I have E3's on my gl 1200. They have been good tires so far.........

The trip to LLanno would be a good way for you to try out the new tires, whatever you decide to get.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
imported post

I love my Michelin Pilot GT's. I had Dunlop's and they were just fine too. But I do love the GT's.

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Has anyone tried the Metzeler yet? Please forgive me guys. I am back to riding now that the kids are gone and a lot has changed So I am relearning. Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

DrifterTex wrote:
Has anyone tried the Metzeler yet? Please forgive me guys. I am back to riding now that the kids are gone and a lot has changed So I am relearning. Thanks for your help.
I am running the Metzlers. I bought a set about a year ago. I had problems with the front. Bad tire that missed quality control. It was replaced for me at no charge. I am very happy about that. The rear has about 6000 mileas on it. Still looks new. I was very happy with the way the tire worked. Ride is good handling is great. I am looking forward to this summer so I can get a good reading on these tires. I think my instance was just a rare one with a bad tire. I am going to run them. I also have a Kawasaki Concours that is going to need new tires in about 4 or 5 thousand miles. Already planning on Metzlers for it. I think you would be happy with them.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I had Metzelers on my 1100 V*. Nice tires for the money. I had almost 10K on them before selling the bike, still had a lot of tire left. I bought one for the rear of my wing about a month ago (local Victory shop had free install with purchase of tire, lol, I handed 'em my keys), we'll see how it plays out on the heavier bike, but I think they'll be just fine.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

I'm been running Metzelers for two years with no problems. :action:Great handling and low road noise. :battle:

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

Michelin Pilot GT's, hands down. I've had EII's and EIII's. Can't comment on the others. Take into account that the Pilot's are specifically made for the GL1500.:p

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

DrifterTex wrote:
Need to replace tires on a 1998 SE that I just bought. I need help. whats best?

Thanks guys.
Welcome from the
Steve Saunder's GOLDWING FORUM

A Big Welcome FromForestburg

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Thanks everyone for all of your input. I finally decided on the Michelin Pilot GT. Ordered them today. The tires on it now are 10 years old and it has been sitting, not much use on the bike. So before any long trips I decided I needed to replace the old ones. Once again, thanks everyone. I hope we can make the meet and greet in April. We are going to do our best.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

I know that you bought your tires already, but to add my .02, I just put a new set of Metzlers on this year and have been riding them in the cold and wow what a difference in handling and noise, I think they are great.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.