Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey all was wondering if i could put a car tire on the rear of my 93 1500I?

Ithought i saw something about it before but not sure.

Does anyone have them on a 1500?

If u do can you tell us about them?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,586 Posts
imported post

This subject keeps re-surfacing. WHY?
It's insanity to put a car tire on a bike!
A car tire is designed to function in a straight up and down environment. Bikes don't function that way unless they have a sidecar attached. Even then, the wheel is not designed to mount a car tire.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,586 Posts
imported post

English Bob wrote:
OK, I read a good deal of that post and I'm sorry, but I'm not convinced.

But obviously, theM/C riderswho are changing to car tires are more knowledgeable than the engineers, with all their degrees and experience,who design, develop and test the tires in question.

Call Bridgestone, Continental, Dunlop, Pirelli or any other tire manufacturer that offers both M/C and car tires and get their opinion.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

Seems to be a hot topic on the 1800 forums and I guess it had to spread to the other Wing model owners eventually.

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
English Bob wrote:
OK, I read a good deal of that post and I'm sorry, but I'm not convinced.

But obviously, theM/C riderswho are changing to car tires are more knowledgeable than the engineers, with all their degrees and experience,who design, develop and test the tires in question.

Call Bridgestone, Continental, Dunlop, Pirelli or any other tire manufacturer that offers both M/C and car tires and get their opinion.
Any chance the tire engineers got their degrees from the same colleges that turned out the bank and insurance executives? :cheeky1:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

WELLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!
Im almost sorry i asked lol
Thanks everybody for ya'll input

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

tommy421960 wrote:
WELLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!
Im almost sorry i asked lol
Thanks everybody for ya'll input
Tires can be a hot topic with motorcycles. Just about everyone on the site has had a trip messed up or been hurt or known personally someone who has had a tire misfortune.

When the bullet comes that close people tend to get emotional.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
imported post

The short answer to your question Tommy, is no. The 1500 rim will not accommodate a car tire without modifications that typically cost around 800.00.

Bike...and Dennis. No we are not smarter than engineers. But if engineers were correct 100% of the time, there would never be recalls.

If the demand was high enough, tire companies would spend a lot more time, money and research on motorcycle tires. The demand is not that high, so we are stuck with our limited choices. For the record, I did have a very long and enlightening conversation with an engineer from Bridgestone last year. He admitted off the record that they will not spend the money to improve motorcycle tires because the demand simply isnt high enough. One last comment, just think for a minute what a tremendous side load there is on a car tire when you dive into a hot corner with a fancy sports car....

I have never tried to "convince" anyone to try a car tire. That is a decision that we each make for our selves.

But, I can say with experience, that with over 29000 miles of actual riding experience on my Goodyear Eagle Run Flat, I can out brake you on your MC tire, rather the road is wet or dry, and I can run hot enough through the twistys to keep up with nearly anyone else on a GL18000.

But the real reason I use the car tire? I can remove the valve core, run it with no air, two up pulling a trailer and make it to a service station. Been there done that.

I dont usually get defensive, but it erks me when people talk about something that it would appear they have no experience with. Maybe you have the experience, if so I apologize.

Lastly, like you, I read and was not convinced. So, I bought a spare rim, mounted a car tire, took it for a short ride. Over the course of three months I would switch the car tire with the motorcycle tire (actually two, I had a new Dunlop and then tried a new Bridgestone). The end result after several thousand miles of testing, I have decided I will never go back to a motorcycle tire unless they do come up with something comparable (ie Run FLat)

Did I mention how quiet and smooth it rides?

Remember this: The mind is like a parachute, in order to work, it must be opened.

·
Administrator
26,178 Posts
imported post

Good response Sonny.
Say thanks from me to your sailor, I have a Marine in Iraq.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
imported post

Thanks back to you Dave. And many many thanks to your son. My son spent 7 months last year in Kuwait and Iraq, he leaves this August for a year long tour in Afghanistan. He is in that 1% of the Navy that is land based. Been in 3 years and has yet to see a boat.........go figure.......

·
Administrator
26,178 Posts
imported post

Is he a corpsman, hope I spelled that right. The Marines don't have their own (medics) they are all Navy.It's my son's second trip to Iraq. It is very boring there now.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
imported post

You are welcome Tommy. If you want a little more information, send me a PM and I will explain the procedure and why it is so expensive......

No Dave, he is not a corpsman, he is a Electronics Technician by rate. His job is to maintain the link in communications set up, which like everywhere else now days is controlled by a computer. So, he is kind of like a LAN administrator who carry's an M16 slung all day and night......

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
imported post

I know nothing about this topic except that I was talking to a very experienced rider recently who runs a car tire on his rear rim. He DID NOT try to encourage anyone to do it either, but said that he will never go back to a m'cycle tire. He did say that cornering took some getting used to...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.