Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Anyone out there try these tires on a GL1200? Im curious

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,277 Posts
imported post

Try some Conti Tours, Bridgestone Spitfires or Pirelli M-66.

All are quality tires with budget prices. And all are better than the high priced offerings in most cases.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

i have one on my LTD and so far have been satisfied with performance. I only have about 3k, bit the tire still looks great. Handles great and rides great

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
imported post

Dennis ,did you get you problems with you 1200 fixed?

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
imported post

I run one on back of 84 GL1200 and had good luck with it. Still on bike and handles good.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
imported post

I just put a set of the Bridgestone S11 Spitfires on my 1100 and am very happy with the ride and the handling. Very inexpensive for the quality. Set front and rear was $160 delivered from Bake Bandit. Delivered in 2 days.

:action:

·
Texas Boy
278 Posts
imported post

I just installed a pair of Shinko Tourmaster 230's on my 86. Right now I only have about 60-70 miles on them so I can't speak to durability but they have good traction, handle well and ride smoothly. I may never have to worry about wet traction becaust it's never, ever going to rain ever again in central and south Texas as near as I can tell. The price was right, $130 for the pair with free shipping. They have a higher load rating than the E3's and are V speed rated so I can do 140 if I want to. If they hold up well and I can get 12-15 thousand miles out of them I will likely stick with them.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,277 Posts
imported post

biker3777 wrote:
Dennis ,did you get you problems with you 1200 fixed?

No, I tried to get some new carbs but they don't seem to be available, single or set. All theused ones I've seen are a messandnot up tomy standards.

The only problem we could find was loose linkage on the #3 carb. At present I'm just running the bike way out of sync at idle so it runs pretty decent just off idle.Now ithas developed a serious ping though in the midrange (4-6k rpm) with nearly wide open throttle. Don't know what that's about.

Thanks for asking though.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

I had the Shinkos on my Aspencade 1200 and they were fine in the dry. As soon as it rained they scared the crap out of me. Not wanting to throw the whole tire investment away, I just rode in the dry as much as possible and when I was blessed with a rear tire puncture, it gave me the excuse to buy Bridgestones.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

I was cruising 70MPH in a hard rain last week on my Shinko 712's on I-35 and was very impressed with them. Thought I was cruising pretty fast until I was passed by a Highway Patrol on his bike going about 75.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,277 Posts
imported post

outofcontrol wrote:
I have about 1,000 miles on mine now. great in the rain (it's Oregon- we don't tan, we rust) and yes, $129.97 delivered (that's for both tires). ordered on Wednesday, received on Friday:
Hey Dude, have you figured out how to tow your 'Wing behind the KTM yet?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.