Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tires

514 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  rpeters549 
#1 ·
imported post

I have a set of dunlop e3 on my wing. they have 9,000 miles on them. How many miles should I get out of them? They still look good. Im not exactly what I should be looking for on the wear bars. the rear tires dont have them. Any recomendations on another brand?

Wingrider59:?

#2 ·
imported post

There is or should be little arrows on the sidewalls pointing to where the wear bars are. If they are worn to where the bars are level with the tread they should be replaced. Everyone gets different mileage from tires depending on riding style, road conditions, tire pressure and supension condition.

#3 ·
imported post

The tires should always have wear bars, they are located between the treads in the center of the tire. You might have to rotate the tire to see them clearly as a raised portion of the rubber in the groove between the treads every 12-16" or so.

Another good method of reading the tread depth is to use a penny. insert the edge of the penny with the top of Lincolns head towards the tire, if part of his head is obscured you are OK, if you can see the top of his head/hair then you are at the minimum legal limit, and obviously if you see a gap above his head then you are beyond the limit of tread wear.

Keep in mind that the last part of the tread is a softer compound and will generally wear out much faster than the earlier tread will.

#4 ·
imported post

You can also use a small flashlight. Shine it sideways at the tread where the indicators are to help the tread wear bars cast a shadow. On the sidewall around the circumference on both sides you will find little arrows or little triangles, often with the letters TWI (tread wear indicator) or TDI (tread depth indicator). Directly in line across the tire tread there will be a raised area of rubber in the tread void/groove. That is the wear bar. Federal standard for a tire to effectively channel water and heat is 2/32 inch, the height of those bars. Find them on your car first to see what they look like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.