Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have been using Dunlop Elite 3's on the last 2 goldwings (1500 and 1800) and would like info from others that have used other tires. I average 25K for a rear and 35K for a front. Would like opinions and usage recommendations. I ride 25k per year, mostly one up (I'm 165lbs), no trailer, mostly open road:?

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

Black tires

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
imported post

wilf wrote:
Holy Crap!!
Never hear of that type.... I use the rubber ones. Front i have a dunflop 404 and rear has a kenda, not sure of the exact model

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
82gl1100iwingman wrote:
Black tires
+1. And I prefer round ones, when I can get 'em.
I tried the black iron ones but they were a wee bit of a harsh ride so I went back to the black rubber ones.

BTW: Welcome to the forum desertwind789a.

·
Premium Member
12,869 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hello and Welcome to the forums . I cant offer any personal experience for your 1800 . If your now getting 25K on a set of tires , I believe your doing very well .

You might switch to a CT ( car tire ) for the rear ( it's known as" Dark Side" ) and have an increase in mileage there and save a few bucks at purchase . Then for more life on the front use a rear tire mounting it with the rotation arrow in reverse("Double Darkside" )

You can find more info than I can explain here by using the search function on the forum ,using those two terms .

On my 1500 I am very happy with the Dunflop Wintersport Run On Flat rear tire . Some like the darkside, others wouldnt get near it.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Cement tires! They wear like concrete and have large whitewalls too.
A good solid heavy weight 6pyl tire is a good tire.
Not much heavier nor more solid than cement even though it may technically only be 1 ply I guess. LOL

Tons of tire threads here, may want to check out the darkside threads for running a car tire on rear and see if that's for you or not.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
imported post

desertwind789a wrote:
I have been using Dunlop Elite 3's on the last 2 goldwings (1500 and 1800) and would like info from others that have used other tires. I average 25K for a rear and 35K for a front. Would like opinions and usage recommendations. I ride 25k per year, mostly one up (I'm 165lbs), no trailer, mostly open road:?
You have to read some of these replieswith a grin on your face... This question gets asked probably one or twice each month.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,341 Posts
imported post

Chromo wrote:
Cement tires! They wear like concrete and have large whitewalls too.
A good solid heavy weight 6pyl tire is a good tire.
Not much heavier nor more solid than cement even though it may technically only be 1 ply I guess. LOL

Tons of tire threads here, may want to check out the darkside threads for running a car tire on rear and see if that's for you or not.
The concrete tires do lower the center of gravity, but the extra weight was hard on mileage. And getting the bike up on the center stand?...forgetaboutit!

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

Brianinpa wrote:
desertwind789a wrote:
This question gets asked probably one or twice each month.

at least that often it seems, and the car tire pushers are always quick to jump in. :D

The Elite 3's seem to be one of the longest lasting motorcycletires on the Goldwings, and are the most popular,but your mileage on them is outstanding. Never heard of anyone getting 25K out of a rear MC tire on an 1800, nor 35K on the front. If I could get that kind of mileage on any MC tires on my 1500 I'd be delighted. I average around 15K on the rear and almost always change the front at the same time.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

John

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
imported post

desertwind789a wrote:
Mileage is spectacular. I've never got 25K from a rear or even a front.

·
Premium Member
12,869 Posts
imported post

desertwind789a wrote:
......Would like opinions and usage recommendations. .......

Not pushing CT on anyone . Just offering the info . As I said " Some like the darkside, others wouldnt get near it."

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

I have 23,000 on mu rearand front bridgestone......I think it will last the rest of the season yet. My front looks like it will go the distance of another rear. I have another g702 poised and ready.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

desertwind789a

I am absolutely sure that this isn't the case in this thread, but around here nothing gets the blood pumping faster than a thread about tires or oil.

I you consider that within the context of the plain fact you only show three posts... I find it completely understandable that many of our venerated members probably suspect you come from the lineage of Grindle.

In light of this, let me whole heartedly support 82gl1100wingman and say I LOVE black tires. They are cheap, ride nice and look good!

Seriously... you have already drawn joking comments from some of our best and greatest members... consider this fair warning from some very nice folks. I can assure you the mods are watching this thread VERY closely.

Welcome to the forum.

So... if you are for real, run a few thread searches and read to your hearts content! If you are just trolling, lurking under the bridge... the three Billy Goats Gruff will be along straightway to butt you into the stream.

Watch your step! Play nice!

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
imported post

I would say if you are getting that much milage, I would stay with them. I have got 20,000 plus on a front. Rear always seems gone around 15,000. Any tips you can give us on the 25,000 on a rear.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,341 Posts
imported post

Actually, I'd like to apologize to Desertwind. Though I doubt he will return to read it. I didn't mean to mock him in any way, and I'm sorry if it has turned out to appear I have.

As others have mentioned, that's a mess of miles on a M/C tire and I can'tsuggest any tire tothe man that will last any better. My attemps at humor might have been funnier if they were not in the first thread of a new member.

What I should have done is bid welcome to a potentially valuable member of the forum, so I do that now, and hope this has not come too late.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
imported post

Actually got some GREAT laughs from the replies.....
Most of the people I talk to say I should be happy with the mileage I get out of tires, obviously, I do PUSH the envelope to get them to go this far.......just wondering what other's like or have tried.........HMMMMMM, concrete....how do you balance it?:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
imported post

I have a Duro HF-296C on the rear and a Shinko Tour Master on the front. Both are fairly inexpensive tires and don't expect a large number of miles on either.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.