Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 89 1500 with k177s on with about 18,000 miles on them the rear looks good yet but front is cupped.Can I replace the front with a E3 and run the k177 on the rear? The k177 front would follows cracks in road till I put a couple ounces of antifreeze in it a old tire guy told me to try it and it made a big difference.

·
Administrator
27,900 Posts
Yes you can mix and match tires with no problem.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Please, I beg of you, nay I beseech you, :praying: don't mention what kind

of tires you're using whether MC or CT.:ShakeHead:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,324 Posts
Any single track vehicle will tend to follow grooves in the road. That's its nature.

Why not just replace both of those 177s at the same time, with the same thing. You'll think you got a new bike. 177's work really well and give exceptional longevity. (Keep the air up.) By a big long ways, they're the best tire Dunlop ever made.

Of course it's your money. But ask people about the life, cupping and noise they're really getting from their E-3s.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
I agree, you can mix and match. I have heard you want to avoid putting a radial on the front with a bias on the back. I also never heard the antifreeze bit before.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Antifreeze in the tire is an old school balancing method. It is just like using balancing beads. This is what I do in the tires of my trailer I tow behind the bike as they are the cheesy 4.8 x 8 inch disposables.
The issue is two fold though-- antifreeze is toxic so on a tire that will be changed the shop will not be happy with the health issue or the mess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.