Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have asked this question before but now the time as come for new tires for my 1500A I am 72 and want good handling tires, what do we recommend? With snow just two weeks ago I just got the bike out today and there seems to be a bump in the front tire probably from siting on a heated slab during the winter.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
I have ran Avon tires (4 sets) for the last 96k miles. Good performance, handling and wear.

The Avon's are a little stronger constructed tire and I run a little higher psi in them.

Avon's correct the speedometer error, mine is "dead on" with a GPS......!

I have friends running the new Dunlop E4 tires and very satisfied with them.

The tread design on the front E4 is almost identical to the tread design on the front Avon.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
+1 for Avon front and rear. Smooth, grips road well, and no whine.

Can't miss with Dunlops either though, , ,my old ones had a slight whine though, and they HATED "tar-snakes" on some of these backroads. Avons glide over them so you don't even notice em.

·
Nodnocdar
20 Posts
Tire suggestion gl1500 etal

When replacing your Tire with Dunlop Elite III, you should find these tires to provide a superior feel of grip or stick to the pavement. I'm 71 yrs old and have ridden for 50 yrs. Also any tire replace should consider Parts and supplies.

Stainless Steel valve stem and Liquid balance and seal for tire, check with your Honda dealer for the valve stem and the liquid, he may have an equivalent.

130/70-18 (63H) Dunlop Elite 3 Bias-Ply Touring Front Motorcycle Tire - Front - 1992 HONDA GL1500A Gold Wing Aspencade about $140.00 online then add wheel removal and mounting cost.

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
Do they still sell Avon Cobras? Last time I checked the places I used to buy from were out. :|
I just checked where I got my last Avons and it looks like they have them. Several of the Avon tires appear to be out of stock, but it appears you can get the ones for the 1500.
https://www.americanmototire.com/street-cruiser-touring/avon-av72-cobra-160-80b-16-81h-rear-90000021763-mc.html

Looks like J&P has them too.
https://www.jpcycles.com/product/212-956/avon-av72-cobra-160-80b16-rear-tire

·
Registered
383 Posts
I see the new Cobras are available in bias ply or radial. Any feedback on differences between them when used on a GL1500? I have gone back and forth with that on other bikes and didn't really notice much difference, but those were much lighter sportbikes. On cars and trucks it's night and day differences.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
I've put Avon cobra's on both front and rear, and both are bias. I'm very pleased so far with their handling but time will tell on "wear", (only about 2k on em now).

I "toyed" with the idea of radials, but chose to try bias first, , , figuring that if i didn't like them, i'd go to radials. I'm so pleased with the bias tires, , I see no advantage/need to switch to radials.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts